A garden for your animals?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bettymae83, Oct 23, 2015.

1. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    I always have a garden for my animals.

I have pigs, chickens, goats, fish, and a few ring neck pheasant.

The only problem is the fact my dear wife doesn't want to part with the produce so we put most of it in the freezer and feed them later. But any green that isn't perfect or things like pea vines,green bean vines,and a lot of other stuff goes into the animals. We also take produce that doesn't sell from the local produce stand to feed our pigs. The pig feed cost us next to nothing.

This time of year we rake acorns for the pigs. We pick them up leaves and all. They like to root through the "trash" to find the acorns and the "trash" is good for bedding. The goats eat greens and the chickens will eat just about anything.

I usually buy my fish food...but...in the wintertime I add some minnows or net up some shad to feed the fish because they don't eat the other food fast enough to keep from fouling the water. Any shad that doesn't make the trip I feed to the pigs.

I also have duckweed in one of my ponds and my ring neck pheasant love it. It is high in protein and is good food for foul. Every time my ring neck see me they come begging for duckweed.

I have a couple of oak trees (small acorn) that drop acorns into the goat pasture and they eat them up. But I have heard that too many acorns may be bad for goats so I don't feed them extra...just hay, all stock, and corn. And then only in the winter.

We used to have a couple of head of beef but we really don't have the space for them. But we have fed cows crook neck squash and tomatoes. But not very often. You can make silage out of your grass clippings and feed them cornstalks.

2. bettymae83

bettymae83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2015
    Hoopa, Ca.
    You're so awesome!!! Thank you!! What about rabbits? I was actually thinking of a few grain type stuff for the chickens. I have even considered growing rice in pots. I know rice is controversial, but still a thought.

3. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    Thanks for the compliment but it is undeserved.

But anyway rabbits...I raised Lion head rabbits a few years back and upon reflection I wasted a lot of money. But the manure is the best for tomatoes and raising earthworms. I bought them rabbit pellets and that was their feed. I would have been better off raising them on hay and giving them pellets as a treat. A small bale of hay (about 4 bucks here) would feed your rabbits for quite a while. Just keep it dry.

I should have known better because when I was a very little kid my dad raised meat rabbits and sold them to local markets.

Your chickens should eat just about anything. We look at it like this. What we don't eat the pigs will eat. What the pigs don't eat the chickens will eat. In fact, our free range chickens jump over the fence and eat with the pigs out of the same trough.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. bettymae83

Oct 16, 2015
    Hoopa, Ca.
    I would love pigs, and my daughter wants a pot belly, but not anytime soon, unless it's a good deal. I want to raise Flemish giant, new Zealand crosses for meat. Those are some big rabbits, and big appetites. Even though most of my animals will be for food, I still want them to be taken care of and a little spoiled while alive. I think it's more for my own conscience. It's going to be hard to butcher, but I hear its easier over time.

As for the compliment, I do think it's deserved. Any one that takes time out to help someone new to the field (any field) deserves praise. I love this forum for that. I have been on many and see newbies like me be ripped to shreds because they ask for help. I don't see that here.

Once again, thank you! You're awesome! [​IMG]

5. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    I do not like potbelly pigs...sorry...someone actually stopped by the house and tried to give me one. I would not take it. I sold a boar hog to a neighbor and he tried to get the price down by throwing in a couple of potbellies. He paid my asking price and kept the potbellies. The last one we saw at action went for seven dollars and fifty cents. That's $ 7.50. They were a big thing a few years back but they have gone out of style. I like meat pigs.

I firmly believe in giving your animals the best life you can offer. My wife is always getting on my case about spoiling them.

If you decide on meat pigs build a fence or pen the is pig tight, bull strong, and horse high. A three hundred pound pig can move three hundred pounds with its nose. And a good thing about meat pigs is this. They are real cute when little and fun to watch. By the time the get about two hundred pounds you will be happy to take then to the butcher.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you are raising rabbits for meat, my experience with Flemish giant/New Zealand crosses are not a good cross. It takes much more feed to put meat on their large frame.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I forgot to mention that Ruth Stout wrote books that every gardener should read. She was a joy to read and her advice is excellent!!

1 person likes this.
  8. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    We got a new baby goat today. Nanny only had one but it looks healthy.

I think my dad raised the New Zealand white.

9. bettymae83

Oct 16, 2015
    Hoopa, Ca.
    My friend who had Flemish/Zealand crosses when she was growing up, they had a small farm out side sacramento, says the crosses are pretty much the rabbit version of the black jersey giants. slow growing but good meat to bone ratio, and instead of eggs they are awesome in the fertilizer department. I don't mind investing more feed for good meat. As for pigs, I like the huge ones my dad raised when I was a baby. He stood 6' and these hogs were past his waste high. I would have to plant the whole acre, for a garden for them LOL

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    "She's the reason for the lazy in the LG."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by