A good broody duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Sep 22, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Besides the Muscovy, what ducks are good brooders?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Welsh Harlequins are supposed to be. I guess I will find out soon enough if that is true...LOL

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    umm my mallard hens go broody... [​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a blue swedish, who went broody, and 2 of her four girl babies were exposed to a drake, and they went broody and hatched out 3 babies between them..

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi rainplace, I know you saw my post about the moscovys, but I wanted to tell you that I have two buff or saxony colored hens that I bought one year apart from TSC, but I think they get theirs from Privett Hatchery. Anyway, my oldest one is setting for the third time this year (however I don't think any are going to hatch, I'm pretty sure it has been over 28 days) and the younger one is barely even old enough to lay and she stared setting a little over a week ago, so you may want to try some of them, Privett Hatchery calls them Buffs, but I don't think they really are, they're more saxony colored .

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    My Indian Runner hatched out five ducklings, but it's not a very reliable breed.

Don't expect many runners to go broody. [​IMG]

7. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    My White Call was and excellent broody she hatched 7 out of eight eggs she was sitting on about 5 weeks ago.

I had heard calls weren't good broody's but she sat steady and would attack anything that came near her nest (even Me!)
    Excellent mother too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by