1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a good cure for crd?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gameroster, Oct 29, 2014.

1. gameroster

gameroster New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    i have some chickens that are with rattles, runny noise, watery eyes, heads swollen is gallimycin a good treatment for crd? I was told it was.......

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First, you can't "treat" CRD. Birds will remain carriers and may show symptoms again during times of stress.

Antibiotics can diminish the symptoms and make the birds seem healthy again. I, too, have read that Gallimycin can be used for CRD. If you can get it, try that. Tylan50 is another antibiotic often used for respiratory infections. Another good antibiotic is called Denagard.

3. gameroster

gameroster New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    should I kill what I think is carriers then? if not it could go through all my flock?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have one tested for mycoplasma before you kill any.

The UC Davis fee for those in State is $8.30, and I think I read someplace that out of State fees were twice that, but don't quote me on that. The $8.30 test is the Chicken respiratory serology panel (IBV, MG, MS, AI, NDV), so you would have to have blood drawn.

http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/local-assets/pdfs/fee lists/Poultry_fee_list_2013.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How many are sick, and have they been near your other birds? Do they have a bad odor around their heads?

6. gameroster

gameroster New Egg

Oct 28, 2014
    their are about 7 birds, yes they are free range, an they do have a very foul odor to them

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Then I would suspect Infectious Coryza before Chronic Respiratory Disease. It often produces a foul smell around the birds face.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The foul odor probably means coryza. If they have already been around the others, they could have already exposed them. Incubation time for coryza is 1 to 3 days. Coryza is best treated by sulfa drugs like sulfadimethoxine and sulmet in the water. Erythromycin (Gallimycin) is also used. I think it depends on how many get sick whether or not you cull, but for me personally, I would cull birds with it. You can confirm it with testing though which is always best in case you later need to vaccinate new birds. Coryza only lasts a few days in the surroundings after cleaning and disinfection of your coop and equipment, but waiting a little extra does not hurt. Sorry about your birds, and here are some links to read:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...verview_of_infectious_coryza_in_chickens.html

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have one tested. If you live in the US your State vet might be willing to send someone out to draw blood. Call them!

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by