A good dog house for 3 ducks

silly4buttons

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 5, 2013
Billerica Ma
I really need to put out my duck. I was looking at dog houses and I don't know what size for them to be comfortable in. One is a indian runner and the other 2 are khaki Campbell's
Thank for you input.

I like this one but I don't know if it's ok for them.

I like your Idea my 3 kc hen ducklings will be here mid april, I would say a medium size dog house would be fine. However I don't think getting to the eggs on your hands & knees will be fun maybe a trap door on the back for easy access. GO DUCKS!

Silly-Some suggestions. Line the floor with something you can easily clean. Wood will get filthy quickly. They will get poop on walls and floor, so make sure you can clean easily. Also, make sure there is a secure door and good ventilation. If you decide to put in windows, cover them with hardware cloth, not chicken wire. There are ways to ventilate so you get air circulation, but avoid drafts. It looks a bit small for 3 ducks if they are spending a lot of time in it, but if it is only for overnight, it should suffice.

Thank you. Should be Insolated? I live in Massachusetts and the winters are cold and lots of snow. Here are a few more I was thinking . I was thinking I should get the large size house.

I would not insulate. If you insulate, you run the risk of condensation building up and keeping it wet. Ducks have down jackets on! I live in Maine, mine were cold this winter, but were fine, and as long as they are able to get out of the wind and elements and have dry straw (not hay) to snuggle down in, they will be fine. Make sure they are well fed, have non frozen water and can choose to go inside if they wish. They will do okay.
Definitely go larger if you are able. Right now you want three, but you may end up with more at some point, they are addicting.
I use a heated dog dish for water in the cold temps, it sits in a larger dish to catch drips, with a narrow notched board across the top, so they cannot bathe in it.

veronicasmom, I am just wondering - I have the outdoor duck house insulated but very well ventilated and we did not seem to have moisture problems in there….I was very conscientious to clean the top layer of bedding daily, too, which reduced moisture. Do you think that might be a strategy? I know eventually I brought the flock in to the walkout basement - a few of the Runners just are not very cold hardy at all.

Back
Top Bottom