A good "emergency kit" to keep on hand- what would be in it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilBizzy, Aug 22, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    There seems to be quite a few posts where it seems imperative to act quickly on a sick or injured bird. Some of the meds aren't available in local stores and might have to be ordered online.
    Would it be advisable to have antibiotics on hand "just in case"

What would be good to have in a chicken emergency/first aid kit?

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    triple antibiotic with pain killer
    bandages
    band aids
    vet tape (the stuff without glue but sticks to itself)
    iodine or Betadine
    styptic powder (can use flour or sugar in an emergency)
    I use DE but if you don't you should have a wormer, Ivomec is one of the better ones.
    electrolytes for birds (as opposed to Gatorade and others that have too much sugar)
    fingernail clippers
    sharp small scissors
    large scissors
    tweezers
    locking tweezers (like a cross between pliers and scissors that lock shut)
    aspirin
    alcohol
    tea tree oil
    cotton balls, and the flat round ones
    q-tips
    Vaseline
    Terramycin ointment (antibiotic cream for the eyes) and *Terramycin* powder that you mix with water and any other injectable antibiotic that you might want to keep refrigerated. Always check expiration dates. Small Gauge syringes for injectables.
    apple cider vinegar with the mother in it, I use Bragg's from GNC- 3.49 per Qt.
    Vick's vaporub (or generic version)
    Tongue depressors or Popsicle sticks to be used for splints
    Bluekot or any anti pick remedy
    Some type of carrier that can be used as a hospital unit, to quarantine an injured or sick bird.
    bottled water
    Saline Solution or 1/4 cup regular salt to a gallon of water, bring to a boil then cooled, Note: Peroxide will kill healthy tissue
    Needles and strong thread for sewing up deep puncture wounds
    Name of An Avian VET in your area, keep it posted for quick access
    A clearly Marked Tupperware container to keep it all in. I have my Avian Vets # taped to the lid.

* Terramycin Powdered Antibiotic- 2 Teaspoons to a gallon of water for 3 days then 1 Teaspoon to a gallon of water for 4 days. Change water daily as it will lose it's potency after 24 hrs.

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    All of the above plus Tylan-50, LS-50, or Pen-G and for weeping wounds Ball Pickling Lime, found at the grocery store in the canning section. Dries a weeping wound like a bad scrape right up so it can heal. Old horseman trick. A small bottle of VetRx is handy too.

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply! I sure have some shopping to do !
    I'm wondering if this list should be stickied for all to see? I think we all need a complete kit on hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by