A good feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetesMom, Mar 31, 2012.

1. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I've been feeding Pete the Dumor finisher/grower from TSC. Is this a good feed? Is it sufficient enough or should he be eating something else? What about when we get females in the bunch?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I am feeding my two new ducklings the Dumor chick/duckling starter. They are doing just fine. My three grown ducks are on a different brand of chick starter, called Hi-Pro feeds. I like the Dumor alot better but the local feed store doesn't carry it and we only go to TSC every two weeks or so.

~ Aspen

3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    While we're on the topic, I couldn't find starter feed, or even all of the ingredients in for the home-made recipe in the Storey's guide, in my neighborhood, so we improvised:
    Free choice feed:
    -8 cups cornmeal
    -1 cup dried milk
    -1 cup wheat germ
    -1 cup spent brewers yeast
    Free choice sand with crushed eggshell from hard-boiled eggs.
    Daily rations of chopped greens with crumbled yolks from the hard-boiled eggs.

Our duckling seemed to like it, especially the yolks, and is still healthy and growing after two weeks on this diet. I'd love suggestions for improvements, though, I have more ducklings coming in May, and I'll need to mix up a lot of starter feed.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Hi ChicagoDucks. I think the only problem you may have is protein level and being a complete feed. I checked in Storey's Guide and he recommends soy and meat and bone meal for protein. Corn products are very low in protein, 8% I think, and wheat is also low. Giving the egg yold will up the level. I applaude you for making your own but it doesn't seem like a complete feed. Manufactured feeds have the needed vitamins etc in them, making your own you will need to add salts, phosphates etc. Check in Appendix B which lists symptoms of vitamin deficiencies and you will see all of the vitamins needed.
    You can use chick starter for ducks, non medicated is best and then just suppliment niacin.

5. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    OK! thanks for the tips! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by