A good hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by lfoose, Dec 26, 2007.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Hi,

Can anyone suggest a place where I can buy pullets? I'd like to have a variety of breeds so I'd like to only order 3 or 4 as apposed to 10-25 of one kind.

thanks.

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We got our peeps at MyPetChicken.com. I think they have pullets too and we mixed and matched. Birds were very healthy (did lose one during shipping but they packed extra just in case). Highly recommend them. Good luck!

3. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Ideal hatchery is where i ordered mine. You can order one or two of any breed as long as you order equals a certain amount (I think it is 15) I bought 4 different kinds and only ordered 15. No warmers and they were all alive and healthy.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am going for mypetchicken.com next spring. I heard some good things about them

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I ordered my pullets last summer from Murray McMurray. This year they seem to have a few different breeds available started. I don't think there was any kind of limit on how few. Be prepared for the high cost of shipping, they have to be sent Express Mail. I think for 6 pullets it was about $15 per bird.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My girls came from Ideal - I have 8 total, two each of four different breeds.
    Be aware of WHEN you order, what time of year. In the colder months they will add chicks (Roo's) for warmth.

Mine arrived in August and I had no "peanuts" (extra chicks) added as it was still nice and warm.

EDIT TO ADD: I bought mine as day olds not pullets. The price of Pullets is pretty scary, and the de-beak them. (or whatever its called)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  7. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Quote:hey, not sure how close medina is to Polk, OH but try Meyer hatchery. i live about 1.5 hours from there (i'm by Cbus) and i drove up there and picked up 5 barred rocks. they don't have a minimum order and they are a site sponsor. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you buy started pullets, be sure to ask if they debeak them!

9. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Thanks everyone.

Polk OH is about 45 mins south of us.

Why do the pullets need to be debeaked?

10. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    starter pullets are 17weeks by debeeking them pullets can't peck each others! [​IMG]
    Only 3 breeds available (Leghorn, Black Star & Golden Buff)

day old pullets are not debeeked!
    you can order what breeds you want & they will tell you when to pick up!

Great customer service call for color catalog will come mid January!

They will have chicks starting last week in February!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by