A Good-Natured Rooster

Cowgirl, Gypsy does sound like a good fellow too, even though he has some quirks. ;) Love his name! Speckledhen, thanks for the info on Delawares. It's fascinating to hear people discussing breed temperaments. I'm a newbie (uh, obviously!
gig.gif
), and it's intriguing to hear from people who value a chicken than can be handled. I always think of tending to injuries, stress levels, and such. Plus, it's plenty nice to have a hen who lets you pet her and is so interactive. :)

I love my rooster, Frick. I started out with Frick and Frack but Frack will make an awesome soup.

Frick follows me around, talks to me, and generally keeps me company. I had a miserable week last week and I swear that bird never left my side when I was out in the coop. He stands right in front of me, looks me in the eye and coos to me. My nieces were in the chicken pen all of yesterday and he just followed them around. When the dog was running around the coop he stayed between the dog and the hens AND my nieces. He's a no nonsense guy when it comes to my shepherd pup. He is the one in my avatar.

Big Fella, my Basque rooster, is a real gem - alert and watchful, firm but kind to the hens, feeds them treats, good-natured, friendly within limits (prefers not to be picked up). He always follows me around when he is out or I am in the pen, which kind of creeped me out at first as I thought he was positioning himself for trouble, but instead when I look at him he does his hen dance for me. Very sweet. And he is a looker too!

Frick is definitely handsome! :D Oh my, Big Fella is hubba hubba gorgeous, too! A creole roo! *swooooon*-THUD! :) I love reading people's stories about responsible, good-natured roos. Learning lots here. The rooster we had when I was a kid flew at us with spurs out, so I'm amazed reading these stories. Thanks all for sharing these great guys with us!

Big Fella, my Basque rooster, is a real gem - alert and watchful, firm but kind to the hens, feeds them treats, good-natured, friendly within limits (prefers not to be picked up). He always follows me around when he is out or I am in the pen, which kind of creeped me out at first as I thought he was positioning himself for trouble, but instead when I look at him he does his hen dance for me. Very sweet. And he is a looker too!
He's very handsome, but actually, that would be unacceptable behavior. I don't allow it in any rooster. He would get snatched up and humiliated in front of his hens. Isaac doesn't do it, Suede did it only once and he was horrified when I grabbed him up. He never did it again the rest of his life.

What he's doing is bringing you down to the level of his hens and you want to be above him in rank, not below. Sometimes, that dancing at you is a prelude to aggression, so be careful.

momsp8, no matter what folks tell you, know that temperament is heritable. It can be passed down to his sons and even on occasion, daughters. Some will tell you that they can be retrained, but you cannot change his inherent temperament, only make him afraid to attack certain people, that is, unless their backs are turned.

Last edited:
how about calling him "Prince" ?????

My 'Bird is a big sweetheart as well. He is a RSL out of the pullet bin from TSC. I am so glad he was a 'mistake'. He is the best rooster I Have ever seen. Protects his girls like they are his best friends and is very gentle. Especially with me. He protects me as well. Sits on my shoulder, jumps on my lap, follows me around, hates my husband, brings me treats and drops them at my feet, hates my husband, will tell me if one of the girls gets wandering too far so that I can come get her and bring her back, hates my husband.

Did I mention he hates my husband??????
lol.png

Fishnet, wow, a red sex-link rooster sporting a stunning hot pink lei!
lau.gif
Whoa, chicken people really know how to party!
gig.gif
I've a female red sex-link, and she is super-friendly. I'm wondering, are all the male sex-links as friendly as the hens are? Your boy is GORGEOUS! Love the pic of him relaxing in green grass. He looks so very content and well! Sweet and handsome fellow.

I love my new puffy round gentle little senior-citizen rooster.
love.gif
Nobody likes the names I've chosen: "Goodfellow" (boyfriend says it's too much like Goodfellas), "Rex," (friend says too much like a hollywood icon) and "King Alfred"/Alfie, after my fave Daffodil. I know, he's my rooster, but.. I'll find a name for him. So dear that he makes a soft chuckling noise when he finds a treat, I think(?) to call the hens to it. "Heh..heh..heh.. found some corn, girls...heh..heh..heh..."
pop.gif

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom