A good place for info on white crested ducks?

A lot of good suggestions. It sounds like you've got a sweet unique relationship with your duck. I suppose most do when it comes to that. Our ducks have bonded with us, but I would say they've imprinted on each other. They cuddle together a lot. And boy, I have to be very careful around them. Any new object will scare them, or if I lift something and I'm near them they'll scatter. I really have to focus to remember this too.
It's funny, a few of them actually will look me right in the eyes and up close when we're on the ground together. They get up close to pull on my hat strap under my chin, collar, buttons etc. Since I figured out they like those things I make it a point to wear them. They like to nip at my glasses too. This is when we have our little chats. I always wonder what they're thinking when we do that and I can tell they're staring at my mouth sometimes as I talk. Which means they're about to go for my lip! It's always a gentle nip though anytime they do that which amazes me.
So even though they don't want to be picked up, we get an enormous amount of joy from them. They follow us, jump up quacking when we come out and sit by us while we're there. They have their own way of being affectionate and we accept that. I'll be heartbroken when I have to give up my 2girls which looks like the case.
Aww, they sound very precious and sweet. The ones I got as tiny babies were just like that, even though I spent tons of time with them. They still imprinted on each other. My ducks got less jumpy over time. I imagine yours will, too. Many people here comment on their ducks going through a fearful teenage period.

I understand about the heart break. I hope you can find a way to keep them, or that you find a wonderful family for them.

Aww, they sound very precious and sweet. The ones I got as tiny babies were just like that, even though I spent tons of time with them. They still imprinted on each other. My ducks got less jumpy over time. I imagine yours will, too. Many people here comment on their ducks going through a fearful teenage period.

I understand about the heart break. I hope you can find a way to keep them, or that you find a wonderful family for them.
Fingers crossed on both thoughts 😊. Thanks!

I have a crested pekin. She's a delightful duck that my life revolves around. She was abandoned on a pond and I adopted her at about 1-1.5 years of age - but we don't really know. It was spring, she was already laying, the vet said she was young. She was incredibly afraid of me at first. I've had her for over 5 years, and she loves me as much as a non imprinted duck can - I believe. She's delightful. She comes when I call. We have conversations in quack. She head bobs when she sees me coming to the aviary. She loves to be very near me, but doesn't enjoy being touched. I'm not offended by this. Since becoming adults my ducks don't even touch each other, unless they are very cold or mating.

I haven't had imprinted ducks, so I'm just assuming this, but I think imprinted ducks might be the only ducks that are cuddly and want to be touched. @Duck mommy 2019 your ducks are imprinted on you, right? My ducks tolerate being touched sometimes, and in some places on their bodies. Tolerate is key. So I don't push it. And sometimes they touch me. Mostly I just enjoy what they naturally offer me. And when I want to cuddle I go inside and scoop up my cat.

There are ways I have found to make my ducks more comfortable with me. It isn't unique to ducks, I've used it with feral cats, too. Basically let your ducks teach you what is scary to them and then avoid doing it. My ducks didn't like it when I walked directly at them. So I walked in huge circles around them. My ducks don't like being startled. So I always talk as I approach them. If it makes your ducks run away or jump or act uncomfortable don't do it. Then spend a lot of time with them being low to the ground. Try not to look directly at them, as predators stare at their prey before attacking. Instead look near them and see them in your peripheral vision. Sit on a blanket and read a book. Do some knitting. Garden with them. Be there but don't focus on them. And, get them to associate you with delicious things! When they see you coming you want them to think, "oh yay here comes the person who brings yummy!" They might never snuggle you, but you can develop a very special close relationship with them.
She's got a sweet little face your Pekin!

Back
Top Bottom