A Good Snake

BlueLineClucker

In the Brooder
May 4, 2018
Moved this guy out of our coop today. We pick up eggs early in the morning, found this guy when I brought some scraps out to my ladies later in the morning. I couldn’t figure out why my husband put our garden hose in the coop...until I saw how big it was...and it moved.

This guy will eat venomous snakes like Cooperheads and Cottonmouths. He’ll also eat rats, mice, etc. I have removed these snakes from neighbors homes and brought them to our property due to concern over snakes coming up from our creek out back.

Picked up the bucket, and moved him out, tipped him over and watched him slither off.

Definitely wouldn’t suggest messing with any snake if you are not sure of what it is...just in case. If you are unsure, call someone who is or a local wildlife officer, I know ours our happy to identify critters.

-Arkansas

Attachments

• 819DDF1A-4457-47B4-B06C-664B99F2F94E.jpeg
    819DDF1A-4457-47B4-B06C-664B99F2F94E.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 33
  • A90BAA30-C4E2-4ADF-8343-F11F054B6099.jpeg
    A90BAA30-C4E2-4ADF-8343-F11F054B6099.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 21
  • E79977EC-F539-46A4-B34A-EEAD0ADD952F.jpeg
    E79977EC-F539-46A4-B34A-EEAD0ADD952F.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 24
great subject.jpg
Finally a snake friendly thread. Bravo.
Folks who kill non venomous snakes on their property are begging rodents to populate & manifest.
In the majority of all egg eating cases, the snake is attracted by rodent scent. Then the rascal stumbles upon a nesting box while tracking the disease carrying rodents and says.. "hmmmm... I guess this will do".
Snakes are mother nature's non pesticide rodent control. We live and let live.. unless you're a rat.
rodents.jpg

Moved this guy out of our coop today. We pick up eggs early in the morning, found this guy when I brought some scraps out to my ladies later in the morning. I couldn’t figure out why my husband put our garden hose in the coop...until I saw how big it was...and it moved.

This guy will eat venomous snakes like Cooperheads and Cottonmouths. He’ll also eat rats, mice, etc. I have removed these snakes from neighbors homes and brought them to our property due to concern over snakes coming up from our creek out back.

Picked up the bucket, and moved him out, tipped him over and watched him slither off.

Definitely wouldn’t suggest messing with any snake if you are not sure of what it is...just in case. If you are unsure, call someone who is or a local wildlife officer, I know ours our happy to identify critters.

-Arkansas

Beautiful snake!

Wow! My chickens and guineas kill the snakes we have around my property and eat them. I wish they would leave some of them alone bc I have found a few non-venomous snakes that I’d like to keep around to help control the rat population.

Our guineas wander all over the neighborhood, they aren’t here this morning. I’m not sure that the chickens didn’t leave this guy alone because he is so big? Maybe they have been killing the smaller ones and I haven’t seen it? I don’t mind that either. I’m glad to have this guy, but I know that he may also be a threat to our new chicks and smaller flock members. It was good to see him, but I don’t mind not seeing him either. ☺️

This time of year, I put a few mothballs all around the outside of my coops, and runs to keep the snake out. They have the entire rest of the property to slither around on. I just don't want them in my coop.

Mothballs do not repel or deter snakes. It is an often repeated myth that they do.

To the OP, good job! Proud to see someone here who doesn't freak out at snakes.

This time of year, I put a few mothballs all around the outside of my coops, and runs to keep the snake out. They have the entire rest of the property to slither around on. I just don't want them in my coop.

I don’t mind this guy, he can take a few eggs today and we will be more aware from here on out. I’d rather have him than a ‘bad snake,’ and regardless what we do...if they want to get in, they will find a way.

I hope your mothballs work for you. I personally can’t stand the smell, but I know they are popular for use against snakes and critters.

I'm in Florida, so we have plenty of poisonous, and non poisonous snakes. I just prefer not to encounter them in my coop. Yes, mothballs do work, if you do them correctly. I don't overdo it, but am consistent in replacing them as needed. Occasionally you get a whiff of them, but not often.

Back
Top Bottom