A good way to keep cornish x clean and happy?

hschweitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Does anyone know a good way to keep the cornish x chickens clean and happy for the 8 weeks they are with us? We just did our first group of them, about 25 birds, and kept them outside, but they are SO MESSY, and end up laying on the ground and getting dirty and wet. Our next group will be closer to 100, and I was thinking a large tractor that we could move daily, or a pen with a raised wire (like 1/2" hardware cloth) floor, but I don't know how uncomfortable the wire would be. I tried chips for bedding, but they ruined those so quickly, it seems like a waste. Anyone have good methods, I would love input! Thanks!

Traffic and rain = mud regardless of the animal :)
In my open pen I have at least 12-14" of sawdust and my chickens are never dirty...it is covered though.

When we had cattle it wouldn't take long for their walkways away from the barn to become knee deep sucking muck. We ordered a load of hog fuel which is sawdust in rougher form, but either would work. Two feet of that across that whole problem area and the area was dry and clean all winter.

If you're doing that many chickens that fast, over time seems like a load of hog fuel or sawdust would pay for itself...

A second vote for fermenting the feed. Although this is my first batch of CX, i was so disgusted by the first 3 days of awful explosive liquid poo that i went to fermenting the feed into a mash- and all is good now. They are still on shavings at night and it doesn't smell.

This is the first time raising CX and they are horrible stinkers! Someone please tell me about this fermented feed and what it is supposed to do

Here is the thread on FF. Its a long thread so plan on this ...
caf.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds

These guys are poop machines no matter what you feed them so you still have to manage it. This thread is full of ideas.

We switched to FF and noticed a difference in bird activity and smell but we were using a coop / run model which will change next time.

I am really impressed with the FF!!! They are so much more active, foraging all the time and actually have formed poop instead of the stinky, watery yuck they normally poop. That was the first comment out of hubby's mouth when he went to see them in the brooder..."Wow, they don't stink!"

Albeit, they grow slower but I'll take that any day!!

I've found that pine needles are the answer. I line their little shelter with them, a good 10 inches thick, and they don't mat down or get damp like shavings. I turn the needles over every day or two with a pitchfork and get a lot more mileage out of them than shavings. Much airier. I rake their grass/dirt run every day with a leaf rake, scoop the mess onto a big snow shovel, dump into the compost pile, and cover THAT with leaves, cardboard, whatever I have, to help control odors. Also, mix a little diatomaceous earth into their feed and flies can't land in the poop. Stink is bad enough, but add flies, and I'm over the edge.

I use a thick bed of pine needles in my layer hens' 8' X 16' run -- again a good 8 or 10 inches thick. They do mat down eventually, but it provides drainage and prevents the run from turning to muck. They last a long time before they break down, too. Compost takes awhile!

Last edited:
I've found that pine needles are the answer. I line their little shelter with them, a good 10 inches thick, and they don't mat down or get damp like shavings. I turn the needles over every day or two with a pitchfork and get a lot more mileage out of them than shavings. Much airier. I rake their grass/dirt run every day with a leaf rake, scoop the mess onto a big snow shovel, dump into the compost pile, and cover THAT with leaves, cardboard, whatever I have, to help control odors. Also, mix a little diatomaceous earth into their feed and flies can't land in the poop. Stink is bad enough, but add flies, and I'm over the edge.

I use a thick bed of pine needles in my layer hens' 8' X 16' run -- again a good 8 or 10 inches thick. They do mat down eventually, but it provides drainage and prevents the run from turning to muck. They last a long time before they break down, too. Compost takes awhile!
were do you get your pine needles? I have my meaties in tractors but let them free range during the day. they don't go far, I then move the tractors each day and hose the poo down.

Back
Top Bottom