A green egg from a... Maran?

3H Homestead

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2022
Hello everyone! I got a handful of Copper Maran chicks back at the beginning of April. They have now been in my chicken run with my Brahmas, Easter Eggers, Polish, Buff Orp, and Barred rock for some time now. I went to grab eggs this afternoon and lo and behold, found a small, pullet sized egg, but GREEN! 🤯🤷🏼‍♀️ My 3 Easter Eggers are pretty solid layers, although not all 3 have laid today. Have any of you had your maran pullet lay a green egg? Could this egg have suddenly come from my regular large egg laying Easter Egger?

Attachments

• 20220705_130950.jpg
    20220705_130950.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220705_131005.jpg
    20220705_131005.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 9
Older birds definitely pop out a little egg now and again. I'd suspect one of your EEs. Laying hiccups can happen more frequently in hot or severe weather, if they're shaken up by something like fireworks, if they're about to molt, that kind of thing.

If your Marans hatched at the beginning of April, they're still probably a couple months away from laying anyway.

Pretty eggs. I bet you're excited about Marans eggs!

Older birds definitely pop out a little egg now and again. I'd suspect one of your EEs. Laying hiccups can happen more frequently in hot or severe weather, if they're shaken up by something like fireworks, if they're about to molt, that kind of thing.

If your Marans hatched at the beginning of April, they're still probably a couple months away from laying anyway.

Pretty eggs. I bet you're excited about Marans eggs!
Thank you for that! I'll bet it was fireworks from July 4th! The next day, I received regular eggs from my EEs, but your explanation makes perfect sense! I thought it was extremely early for my Marans, the cockerel hasn't even gotten his full "cockadoodle doo" in, yet. 😂

Back
Top Bottom