A Guide to Humidity, Weighing and Lockdown.

This is a fantastic guide and answers all of my questions! Thank you and cheers
smile.png

SUper!

I spent HOURS reading before trying my first hatch, and you summed up everything I learned and then some. I knew the moisture loss was key and I would candle for the correct moisture loss but still lost chicks during the last few days. Your guide has provide the key elements during lockdown that I hope will increase my hatching rates. MANY THANKS!

Hi Pete
frow.gif

In another one of your posts I see you have what appears to be a Sulcata Tortoise! I have two Nyah and Zuri - Nyah is about 50 pounds and Zuri is about 55. Do you let your poultry and tortoises mix? I want too but everyone in my tortoise groups say the species MUST be kept separate! All the animals on this great earth co-mingle in my opinion though
gig.gif
!!! I also have 4 geese. 1 African 2 Chinese 1 French Toulouse. The African is the Gander. I was hoping to let my chickens free range as well as the Sulcatas. Any opinion
smile.png
Please ?

P.S. I love to read your posts! They really do educate!!!!

Hi

I think Backyard Poultry are publishing our Incubation Guide this Winter as I've signed te publishing contract with them. Its published this month here in the UK
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Hi Melissa

No the Sulcata broke down the fence and got in with the Toulouse but generally they're kept separate. We also keep our breeding group of Marginated tortoises in another pen as they'll stop laying if disturbed when digging a nest chamber.

However we do mix incubating birds eggs if necessary
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Thank you. I'm in day 18 lockdown with eggs I'm pretty sure have not lost enough moisture. I'm doing a pretty dry incubation (30%-35%) but still I don't think we are where we should be.

I'm glad to read it is OK to delay lockdown because I was searching for HOURS trying to figure out if I really could do this. It makes more sense than just picking a day since all eggs can develop differently depending on temp etc.

Thats good to hear. General guides are useful but its always best to treat your eggs as individual and watch for the signs that indicate changes to your incubation methods. For example you want to lose a little more moisture so are postponing lockdown to suit YOUR eggs.

Best of luck with them and there are links to other incubation information on our website
big_smile.png

Best of luck with your hatch
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

I went back and candled them after reading your article (and CONGRATS ON THE PUBLICATION!! I will be reading it in hard print and saving it!) and only one had a "odd shaped" air cell, but it seems more like it was from shipping. Still growing great. I was very afraid I may have incubated too low (99-100/2*) but I didn't want to change it right in the middle. I've had no major changes over the past 7 days. Aircells seem a little bigger---but not what I would expect for pre-hatch. I only had 2 eggs I could see movement in, as the other are very dark and filled with chick and veins.

I'm going to listen to my eggs and what they are telling me.
fl.gif
and
hugs.gif
thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom