A happy ending to a sad story

fahad

Songster
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
So last month I finally got a thermostat and built an incubator(with alot of help from you guys here on BYC). I took 16 eggs from my own chickens and kept them in the bator. on day 9 or 10 there was a major electricity failure and the lights went out for about 14 hours. We do have a generator but that too needs a rest after a couple of hours. So my incubator was without electricity twice for about 3 hours.

I had lost all hope, but i let the eggs be in the bator and hoped for a miracle. Today is the 19th day and I just saw a crack which is getting bigger by the minute.

OMG it just hatched
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Ok this was quick I'm not even ready for this, I thought it'll take 21 days.

Can someone please tell me what to do?

How long should i let it be in the incubator??
What will it eat after 24 hours?
What do i have to do now?

Please help this is my first chick ever

It can stay in the incubator for up to 3 days. But you can remove it after the chick is dry. But do it very quickly so you don't loose to much heat and humidity which could compromise the hatchability of the others. Once it is out of the bator, it can eat chick starter and drink water. You will have to show it how to drink. Just pick it up and dip it's beak into the water and tilt it backwards so it can swallow. Do that a couple of times and it will know what to do on it's own. Other than that. Just wait and watch!!!

Back
Top Bottom