A happy ending to a wry neck chick story! (WITH PICS) - WITH UPDATE

Wow I have never heard of this. What a great post. Thank you so much for sharing.. I felt like I was right there with you. !
highfive.gif

Another update: We put all the chicks together in the same coop with the older ones over the weekend (the most stressful situation she could have been in) and Butch still has her head up! I had dropped her down to meds only once or twice a day at this point - but then I saw she was getting stressed and twitching her head a little last night so I've gone back to 2-3x/day with the drops. Overall though, doing well! All you need is a little love and patience.
yesss.gif

A Photo Update for all of you
wee.gif

Don't mind the brown coloring - that's where she shakes the meds all over herself haha!

Thank YOU for being so patient while I panicked like a maniac!
love.gif

She's officially at 72 hours with no regression. So proud of our little Butch!!
I have been panicking for a month because my Ameraucana pullet (30 1/7 wks old as of today) has been that way for a WHOLE MONTH!!! Now, I will do these things and I really hope it works! Thank you so much!

What a great post! I have 2 1/2 month old columbian wyandotte's, and I noticed two days ago one of my hens had a crooked neck. Tonight I noticed another one of my hens has a crooked neck. I am going to try to not get discouraged and use all of these supplements and hope that they will come around. I'm thinking that maybe my best bet is to keep the little hens away from the roo's? If it wasn't for your post, I would be so lost!!! Thanks, and if you have any more advice please share!

Definitely keep them separated! Stress makes them revert back to the crooked neck - they need at least a week of having their heads up straight before you should integrate them back into the group. I would even keep the two pullets in separate boxes, to be honest. They need a little "me" time (lol).

Good luck!

We have a 3.5 week old female Blue Andalusian with wry neck. We immediately jumped online when noticing the backward walking and crooked neck. We thought she had mice/lice because she looks like she’s pecking away at her chest. After finding a lot of your helpful posts I ran up to the store and got Polyvisol while my husband removed her from the pen (with nine other mixed breed females).

When I got home I administered the recommended dosage of 4 drops on her beak. Literally it was like a chiropractor straightened out her neck and she was ready to get going eating/drinking. Of course we said, “Not so fast.” She was good for 5 minutes of so then started to do the crooked neck thing again.

Best thing to do was make her comfortable in bedding and let her relax putting her in a separate container with Sav a Chic water and food. Eventually she put her head up again and it continued like a cycle for a while. Every once in a while we would hear screeching like she was lonely. Checked on her and sure enough she was standing looking the direction of the chicks exchanging calls with one we call Stripey (Sicilian Buttercup). We let Stripey visit for a little while but need to go to bed.

At 2:30 a.m. the lonely screeching started again. By 3:00 a.m. I had had enough and decided to go check on her. Me coming into the room calmed her down a little but it started again once I left. The stress of being lonely actually made her worst. So I decided I would try to put her in the big pen and see if she got better. I observed her ~20 minutes and watched the interactions of the other chicks. Stripey slept near her and she seemed more relaxed not being separated. None of the chicks bothered her or stepped on her. I left her in the pen and no more screeching until we woke up.

Noticed she was eating, even shoving others out the way for a feeder spot. Her neck would get a little twitchy but other chicks don’t seem bothered or amused (to pick on her) by her acting weird. She seems semi-normal this morning before I left for work. Will continue with the drops after work. ::Fingers crossed::

I hope your baby turned out okay! I actually dropped off directions for what to do should crooked neck appear at our local feed store - the owner told me that leaving the directions have saved the lives of several chicks!
woot.gif

Hello, Thank god for this article. I spoke to the same lovely lady you did. i have 4 baby's. Today all of a sudden I removed my little baby from the crate and her neck twisted as if broken. more extreme for she cannot straighten it. She sent me this link. If possible can you write me [email protected] have question about the dosage..

Back
Top Bottom