A hawk (I think) got my chick at 2 wks old

motherhenparks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 1, 2010
my husband didnt know that when i said", you have to stand right by the chicks in their little area outside because of "predators" ,that i meant hawks,so he walked away for a min. when he came back my stripey baby was gone.I was so mad,so now im terrified that when they're full grown and i let them walk around outside their coop they will be killed by hawks. I am also worried about the neighbors dogs,i dont understand how they can just let them out to do whatever they want, which is poop in my yard and 1 nipped at my 2 yr old. i dont want to get the neighbor angry either,cause i did say something and he said oh no he didnt bite her, he was probably just biting her pant leg thats how he plays,I dont want that thing in MY yard,right now im trying to build a fence to keep these dogs OUT,HELP!!!
barnie.gif

Not much you can do about hawks if you let the little ones out in the open, even wild birds don't see then coming sometimes, certainly a dozing hubby will have no chance he'll only be able to confirm it was a hawk after the fact.

Dogs on the other hand....OK before I go all gung ho and suggest pump and squeeze, a slingshot works great on dogs. They do remember where they were when they got stung by something; stones if you don't want to really hurt it, .22 ball bearings if you want to hurt it and have your neighbor know that the dog has been in your yard.

You'll probably lose more chickens to dogs than hawks. Hawks are very unlikley to bother your children. Dogs, even the smallest ones, are perfectly well equipped to tear great chunks of flesh off of anything they feel needs bitten. If you don't want dogs in your yard then get rid of them by whatever means you see fit.

Interesting it's your stripey one, we get 50/50 white/stripey and have never lost a white to a hawk, it's always the dark stripeys. I think they mistake them for sparrows. It's a shame but it's the price the pay for freedom.

Quote:
Keep building the fence, check out the roaming/dogs at large laws for area and make a covered run for the chicks.

And if ANY dog EVER nips at your child, shoot it. Then call the law yourself. I am not a big fan of SSS, but a dog nipping a child, and it's the neighbor's dog, neighbor is aware of the problem? Act first. worry about the results later. Protect your child.

Quote:
Don't worry about getting your neighbor angry - worry that his dog that nips at your babies legs will next time jump up and bit him or her in the face. And protect yourself and your child accordingly when you are outside. AND God forbid, if it does nip/bite your child again, call the police and report it, even if it doesn't break the skin! Unfortunately, you will just have to be vigilant anytime you take your child outside, until the dog is gone.

Back
Top Bottom