A hen with Spears????

Well Christmas came early for me this year, DH just bought me a trio of wellies and a rooster. they look pretty similar to my previous pictures, is there any way to find out if my first one is pure breed??
or should I just keep them separate?...

you should wait till shes laying let the rooster mate her , hatch the chick then see if its pure breed

Quote:
put her with the cockerel then hatch chicks and see if they are pure bred

ok well how will I know which eggs will be hers from me 3 new hens? and what will the chicks suposed to look like?

Wow.. pattgal, your girl has some wicked spurs!
ep.gif
One of my BA had spurs, but they never got as big as hers.

I was following this thread and hope that your Hen is indeed a hen!!!!! She is lovely - a very pretty girl. I have no experience with that breed at all.
Last year I had a really crazy chick. We called it the He/she bird. Front end it looked like a Hen but her back and tail feathers looked Roo. She had the big old fuzzy butt - all those girly down feathers over a wide backside! When I went in the yard she would squat for me like my hens - but then she would also do the Roo boy dance with the Rooster she grew up with. But then again He/she was deffinately seen being mounted by all three roosters??? It was the oddest thing to see. All the other Roos crowed at around 20-24 weeks but this little thing - nothing not a squalk for 7 months. But No egg either?

Eventually we had to get new homes for the Roo boys and as this little one was very close to the rooster he/she grew up with we decided that they would go together to their new home on a petting farm.

What was the he/she bird. - I was reliably informed IT CROWED A WEEK AFTER LEAVING US ! He/she turned into a Roo boy. I often wonder though does he still squat like a girl???
hmm.png

Sometimes you just have to wait until they make up their mind what they want to be!

Oesdog
lol.png

Quote:
seeing as how your hen was 5 when she grew her spears can I assume it would be a good indicator as to how old this hen would be?

I don't think the spurs are an indicator of her age. My BCM is on her way to getting spurs - very large, thick bumps (but not pointed yet) and she is barely 1 year old.

Quote:
put her with the cockerel then hatch chicks and see if they are pure bred

ok well how will I know which eggs will be hers from me 3 new hens? and what will the chicks suposed to look like?

well if you could tell her eggs apart from the hens shes with now then wait to see what her eggs look like then just put her and the roo together for a week or to and then collect her eggs

How old do you think your chicken might be? You can tell by the tail feathers, when they get of age, if it is a male or female. Some males look like females until they are three or four months old. I have had several hens with spurs and i was quie puzzled and thought i may have missexed them. Nature is a puzzle.

Back
Top Bottom