A hen with spurs???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by momoftwinsinwi, Jun 18, 2009.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Songster

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    is this possible? I bought 6 "hens" from a local "sh&**head" his flock looked like crap and I basically rescued these birds and have after 2 weeks integrated with my young flock, but out of 5 hens I'm getting maybe 1-3 eggs a day and one of the birds has what looks like to me to be burned off spurs...my guess, is he sold me a "de...mannned roo.." I can't remember the name of the de...process but I'm wondering if it's even possible that a hen can have spurs???

thanks in advance to all of my expert friends....[​IMG]

2. ponchiepeepsDH

ponchiepeepsDH In the Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ponchatoula, LA
  3. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Songster

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    thank you! i'm going to post a pic...

4. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have 2 ameraucana hens with spurs. I dont think its wicked common, but it does happen.

5. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Songster

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    pic's of hen with spurs...???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just glad I rescued these birds, they were NOT in a good environment...and they are looking better and better every day!!

6. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

I think that looks like a hen. Do you know how old?
    Nice pictures!

7. roberto487

roberto487 Chirping

May 28, 2009
    Sometimes some hen will crow like a rooster. In my native country, when a hen does this she is killed, due to some stupid supertision. Hen with spurs are also common, they are vicious when they are brooding. They will use the spurs to defend their chicks.

8. thebritt

thebritt Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I have a brown leghorn with wicked sharp long spurs. Glad she's a sweetie!

9. I had a Lakenvelder hen with spurs, and I've seen several others. I was wondering about this.

Also, yes it is definitely possible for a hen to crow. I have two that have been seen crowing. This is a new concept to me, if anyone can explain it.

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have a hen with a spur on one leg none on the other. It's likely something like some folks not having wisdom teeth, while most of us do have them.

As far as crowing, this can happen when a flock loses its roo, or when a hen has an injury or disease that affects her ovary or ovaries. sometimes it's just dominant hen behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: