A hen with spurs???

momoftwinsinwi

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2007
Rochester, WI
is this possible? I bought 6 "hens" from a local "sh&**head" his flock looked like crap and I basically rescued these birds and have after 2 weeks integrated with my young flock, but out of 5 hens I'm getting maybe 1-3 eggs a day and one of the birds has what looks like to me to be burned off spurs...my guess, is he sold me a "de...mannned roo.." I can't remember the name of the de...process but I'm wondering if it's even possible that a hen can have spurs???

thanks in advance to all of my expert friends....
smile.png

pic's of hen with spurs...???

newchickensgeneva016.jpg

Copyofnewchickensgeneva011.jpg

Copyofnewchickensgeneva010.jpg

I'm just glad I rescued these birds, they were NOT in a good environment...and they are looking better and better every day!!

Sometimes some hen will crow like a rooster. In my native country, when a hen does this she is killed, due to some stupid supertision. Hen with spurs are also common, they are vicious when they are brooding. They will use the spurs to defend their chicks.

I had a Lakenvelder hen with spurs, and I've seen several others. I was wondering about this.

Also, yes it is definitely possible for a hen to crow. I have two that have been seen crowing. This is a new concept to me, if anyone can explain it.

I have a hen with a spur on one leg none on the other. It's likely something like some folks not having wisdom teeth, while most of us do have them.

As far as crowing, this can happen when a flock loses its roo, or when a hen has an injury or disease that affects her ovary or ovaries. sometimes it's just dominant hen behavior.

Back
Top Bottom