A "herd" for Apollo

Apollos-Quackers

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Fowl Lovers! My name is Carolyn. I belong to a blended family of 4 with 2 dogs & 2 cats with frequently visiting adult children, grandkids and wildlife - especially waterfowl.

I am soon-to-be mother of Pekin ducks expected to hatch around May 8th! These ducks will have a 3-fold purpose. First and foremost to help our pond be more naturally maintained. The second is to give our Border Collie Apollo a "herd" to maintain. Lastly, as morbid as it seems, to enjoy fresh eggs from time to time.

May 10th bought Pekin duck eggs to incubate as a COVID-19 Quarantine Science Project in hopes to get around 5 ducks. We got 2 dozen at the recommendation of the seller. He said he doubted many would be fertilized because he only had 5 drakes to 70 hens. Turns out all but 2 were fertilized! Thank God we've already found a farm to take the extras.

We are new to duck owning and have been doing our research, but any advice on free-roaming / dog-herded ducks are welcome. We will have 2 duck houses - one on land, one on water - and enclosure to keep them safe at night, but they will otherwise have full access to the .85 acre pond we live by. Can't wait to see what our future
holds and am very much looking forward to growing in knowledge with your help and experience!

Our home is their new home!
20180717_112845.jpg

Back
Top Bottom