A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

@Ifish

I have the same problem. I want so badly to foster enough interest in showing in my area that we can actually have shows. I run into the EXACT same thing. I am not one to say that the standard bred birds are the only option. I understand the issue fully. I try not to be a "chicken snob." But it is hard to try to explain without insulting people and their beloved chickens. I am just trying to take it slow and encourage education and competition.

If people only want a few hens, aren't planning on breeding them, and are happy with what they have, why ruin it for them? I've had lots of hatchery stock that I loved. The fact that they can do better does not diminish their enjoyment of what they have. Most people don't want or need the "best" available -- they just want what works for them. When or if they find that the hatchery stock is no longer adequate, then they'll be willing to consider better quality. If you can get the information to people before the hatchery purchase, and can refer them to a breeder that is easy to buy from, then they're more likely to be receptive, if and only if they want superior quality. But once they already have hatchery birds that they care about, it's too late to tell them their birds are substandard, and somewhat insulting.

I understand what you are saying and I'm not straight up putting down their chickens or trying to ruin it. These guys couldn't care less about the birds, they're not pets. It was their insecurity that they may not have the best that surfaced. My issue there wasn't about the chickens, it's about their lack of discussing or caring about the differences. Certainly not trying to be a "Chicken Snob" just trying to learn and help others learn at the same time. At this point I just don't understand, outside of production hybrids, why you wouldn't want to own Standard Large Fowl for the back yard flock.

If people are happy with their chickens, that's fine. They could also be happy with their chickens if they looked and produced like they are supposed to, and the danger of losing some of these Heritage LF could be diminished some. They don't have to breed them, but owning some might make them want to. How many times has an entire breed been blamed for not having any meat because someone raised mediocre hatchery stock as a dual purpose? How many breeds are labeled as mean (i'm guilty of this)? And I have read thousands of similar posts, discussions, and opinions over the last few months of research. Until 6 months ago I had no idea what a Heritage Fowl was, or even that the APA held standards, or that people actually hug their chickens and kept them as pets. I was egg production focused for almost 10 years. And I understand that I was/am one of the people I am talking about, like my buddies.

I'll do my best with my birds and let them do the talking for me and hope people will see the difference instead of trying to be proactive. Heck, I might get these beautifully bred birds and breed them into poo.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I wish I had been better educated about these wing issues last season. I would have taken pics
and shared then. Well, blood tells and we will see what has to say later this year when the chicks
start to feather out. Got to hatch them first. Think I will set up an incubator today and get it running.
Best Regards,
Karen
After the wing issues of the 2013 season, ( 1st several pages of this thread) I removed the cock involved and didn't breed the hen again. She is in the egg flock.
We raised 42 chicks last season. Not a single wing issue in any of them. Some were strain-cross using a son of the cock I removed. Some were inbred using my other stud cock and his dam. ( who is a 1/2 sister to the hen involved in the wing issues last season). Both these stud cocks I used are full siblings and sons of the cock I removed who was involved with the wing issues in 2013. So it looks like we have gone past it.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom