Introducing the Naked Neck Trait

Hello chicken people :)

I'm curious what methods you would use to create a Naked Neck version of a standard breed while maintaining the overall integrity and conformation of said breed. (Aside from the missing neck feathers of course)

In this case, I would like to create a line of birds that meets all of the standards set for Welsummer, as well as the egg color and pattern, but also happens to be Naked Neck.

I'm aware this may be taboo to some chicken purists, don't get me wrong I'm all for preserving and maintaining heritage breeds of poultry. My intention with this planned project is to make the Welsummer a little more comfortable in my tropical climate while maintaining a separate pure breeding group of the Welsummer also to use as reference material and also because they're perfect 😁

Future parent stock of Welsummer is coming direct from Deer Run Farms in the Spring. My existing Naked Necks are from a few different sources and they are largely Reddish/Buff in coloration typical of hatchery Naked Necks.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Jax

Last edited:
Just keep breeding necked necked birds to Welsummers. They will be heterozygous so half the offspring will be un-naked necked. Once you have birds that are Welsummers in all ways but neck, start breeding those together to get homozygous ones. Homozygous birds have no necktie, heterozygous birds have a necktie.

Just keep breeding necked necked birds to Welsummers. They will be heterozygous so half the offspring will be un-naked necked. Once you have birds that are Welsummers in all ways but neck, start breeding those together to get homozygous ones. Homozygous birds have no necktie, heterozygous birds have a necktie.
Thanks, I'm working on selecting my breeders out of the flock now. I'll update as I progress towards my goal

Back
Top Bottom