A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

I have a question about weight. I'm embarrassed to say that I have always thought my birds were at least a pound underweight and I have been breeding for size the last few years. It has turned out the scale I've been using is not accurate. I just bought a very accurate fish scale and discovered that my cockerel that I am planning to show is already 8 1/2lbs at 5 1/2 months. His three year old father is just 9 pounds--but I thought he was only 7 1/2!! From what I have been able to determine from the SOP my cockerel will be disqualified at 9 pounds? The show is November 21st so I doubt he will gain a 1/2 pound by then--I hope.
My question is--how much is a bird (the standard is 9lbs for a cock) expected to gain after six months? Is the weight for a cockerel (7 1/2lbs in the SOP) taken at six months?
Here are the three birds I plan to show. The pullets are 5 1/2 months and 6lbs. They still need some work but I need to start getting some live feedback so I know how to proceed with breeding--so I'm jumping into showing. I've never done it before. I am open to critique :)

Unfortunately, most shows don't weigh birds. The SOP guidelines are there as a reference so breeders can have a goal. Birds do not have to be that exact weight to be winners. Also, in a dual purpose bird that was primarily, traditionally used as a table bird, points are not deducted for being over SOP weight unless they are substantially oversized to the point that they do not represent the breed well. The specific excesses that are allowed without deduction are listed in the SOP (check that important front part of the book, not just the specific breed descriptions), but if memory serves me well there is no deduction for up to one pound over the listed weight, and after that there is only a small deduction for every half pound oversized. Obviously, being over the listed weight but in excellent body condition is different than being an overweight (i.e., fat) bird, as a bird that has an extra pound of fat would hopefully be judged as a poor specimen.

If you're interested in showing, I would definitely show those Speckled Sussex without concern about their size. At 5 1/2 months, these are robust birds that appear to represent the breed well. Even if they don't win, you should be proud of them.

Can anyone tell me what they think my rooster is? He's about 4 to 5 yrs old and is a retired show bird he was sold to me as a Wheaton but now people are saying he's a cross breed??

That's encouraging --thanks!

The judges I have personally spoken with favor larger birds all else being equal even if oversize. Please don't quote me but I think large fowl are allowed to be 20% oversize without penalty anyways. There is one train of thought that with the better feed and care these days that the weights in the SOP are not current. There are a few that believe though that the SOP is the SOP. I am working with a breed - New Hampshires where this has been very apparent here where I show. The winning birds are way oversize but the judges are placing them highly.

I have a question about weight. I'm embarrassed to say that I have always thought my birds were at least a pound underweight and I have been breeding for size the last few years. It has turned out the scale I've been using is not accurate. I just bought a very accurate fish scale and discovered that my cockerel that I am planning to show is already 8 1/2lbs at 5 1/2 months. His three year old father is just 9 pounds--but I thought he was only 7 1/2!! From what I have been able to determine from the SOP my cockerel will be disqualified at 9 pounds? The show is November 21st so I doubt he will gain a 1/2 pound by then--I hope.
My question is--how much is a bird (the standard is 9lbs for a cock) expected to gain after six months? Is the weight for a cockerel (7 1/2lbs in the SOP) taken at six months?
Here are the three birds I plan to show. The pullets are 5 1/2 months and 6lbs. They still need some work but I need to start getting some live feedback so I know how to proceed with breeding--so I'm jumping into showing. I've never done it before. I am open to critique
smile.png

Could you post a link to the scale you got? I am looking for a better way to weigh my adult birds.

The judges I have personally spoken with favor larger birds all else being equal even if oversize.  Please don't quote me but I think  large fowl are allowed to be 20% oversize without penalty anyways.  There is one train of thought that with the better feed and care these days that the weights in the SOP are not current.  There are a few that believe though that the SOP is the SOP.  I am working with a breed - New Hampshires where this has been very apparent here where I show.  The winning birds are way oversize but the judges are placing them highly. 

Hmmm...maybe that's why the speckled Sussex I've seen at shows look HUGE to me! Maybe they are.
20% over SOP puts my boy at 9lbs. I don't think he'll hit that but I really have no idea how quickly they can put on weight at this age.

Back
Top Bottom