A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

How does one determine which are the recessive traits which characterize your breed?
Is there a document that states which recessive traits are identified with each breed?

I have Columbian Wyandotte and have copies of some of the historical tomes on the Wyandotte breed that I have read in sections....time to read more thoroughly.
http://minifluffsrabbitry.weebly.com/wyandotte-chicken-color-genetics.html
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickengenetics/mutations3.html
https://web.archive.org/web/2012052.../index.php/21st-century-poultry-breeding.html As I remember Greg is a Wyandotte breeder and uses them for a lot of the education in this book.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
NanaKat wrote:
Is there a document that states which recessive traits are identified with each breed?
-----------------------------------

An interesting question. Is the same gene
dominant in one breed or recessive in another?
Or is it the same across all breeds?

Last edited:
NanaKat wrote:

dominant in one breed or recessive in another?

Simple but potentially misleading answer: A dominant gene should be dominant regardless of breed. Likewise, a recessive gene will be recessive regardless of breed.

More accurate answer: Some genes can be turned on or off by different factors in the environment, such as the presence of certain other genes, or certain environmental factors (hormones present during development, physical stressors at certain stages, etc.). There are times when otherwise dominant alleles may not be expressed, depending on what else is going on in the bird. ("Allele" = variant of a gene, as in the dominant "white" versus recessive "yellow" alleles affecting skin color in chickens. The "gene" is for skin color. Most people call alleles "genes" but it is helpful to know there is a difference.)

Most accurate and least useful answer: "It depends."

Listen to the birds and the old-time breeders. Don't get too wrapped up in the genetics. We like to think we know a lot about how this stuff works, but really we know very little. And what we "know" tends to get turned on its head periodically.

Sarah

NanaKat wrote:
dominant in one breed or recessive in another?

Simple but potentially misleading answer:  A dominant gene should be dominant regardless of breed.  Likewise, a recessive gene will be recessive regardless of breed.

More accurate answer:  Some genes can be turned on or off by different factors in the environment, such as the presence of certain other genes, or certain environmental factors (hormones present during development, physical stressors at certain stages, etc.).  There are times when otherwise dominant alleles may not be expressed, depending on what else is going on in the bird.  ("Allele" = variant of a gene, as in the dominant "white" versus recessive "yellow" alleles affecting skin color in chickens.  The "gene" is for skin color. Most people call alleles "genes" but it is helpful to know there is a difference.)

Most accurate and least useful answer:  "It depends."

Listen to the birds and the old-time breeders.  Don't get too wrapped up in the genetics.  We like to think we know a lot about how this stuff works, but really we know very little.  And what we "know" tends to get turned on its head periodically.

Sarah
I think this is very important. I really enjoy studying genetics and it's fun trying to identify the different genetic factors involved and how they "should" mix, but at the end of the day, unless I have actually done genetic mapping on my birds... It's at best an educated guess and definitely not a requirement. Even if I were a genetics expert (I'm not!) it wouldn't guarantee I could breed a great bird. That's the funny thing about genetics, just when we think we have them nailed down they do something funny, like recombine or mutate.

I think this is very important. I really enjoy studying genetics and it's fun trying to identify the different genetic factors involved and how they "should" mix, but at the end of the day, unless I have actually done genetic mapping on my birds... It's at best an educated guess and definitely not a requirement. Even if I were a genetics expert (I'm not!) it wouldn't guarantee I could breed a great bird. That's the funny thing about genetics, just when we think we have them nailed down they do something funny, like recombine or mutate.

I see a good foundation in genetics as a very handy tool. Many tasks can be done without a particular tool, but is a lot easier if you have it.

I have tended to resist color genetics, but more and more I am finding myself trying to understand what I am dealing with the birds that I have. Part of my lack of interest along the way is that almost all of the discussions and information that you find are on color alone. You do not find a whole lot otherwise.

I do not put a lot of faith in them as much as I do not know what has been done with the birds in the past.

It seams especially handy when sorting through problems, and seeing problems ahead of time.

All kinds of info on grit and how to use it : Gran-I-Grit ;
North Carolina Granite Company. Selling Poultry Grit since 1935.
http://www.ncgranite.com/crushed-stone-surry-county/cut-stone-mt-airy-nc/gran-i-grit-products.html
Every formula I found is below 10.00 for 50 lbs. I get mine at Agway :
Company product brochure PDF . Note the 20% increase in eggs.
http://www.ncgranite.com/images/gritmailer.pdf

Gran-I-Grit has 5 sizes available.
Starter(size 1/16"-3/32")
Grower (3/32"-3/16")
Layer (3/16"-5/16")
Turkey (5/16"-7/16")
Turkey Finisher (7/16"-5/8")

All info below from the following page:
http://tinyurl.com/lybg9lj

How to use:
Broilers:
Grower size for next four weeks.
Feed Developer Layer size after six weeks.
Layers:
Feed Starter size for three weeks.
Feed Grower size for next four weeks.
Feed Developer Layer size after seven weeks.
Turkeys: Feed Grower for size for three weeks.
Feed Developer-Layer size for next five weeks.
Feed Turkey size for next six weeks.
Feed Turkey finisher size after fourteenth week.
Amount to Feed
Usually a bird will eat no more grit than it needs,
which for a layer is 1/6 to 1/3 lbs per month.
For an adult turkey 1/3 to 2/3 lbs per month. If an
occasional flock eats too much grit, change to the
next larger size.
Birds pass out grit that is too small. The best rule is to
feed the largest size the birds will eat in normal quantities.

Best Regards,
Karen in western PA

Last edited:
Does anyone breed Show Quality Standard Dark Cornish? I tried unsuccessfully several years ago to find some with the aid of Bob and we never could locate any. BTW, I have a nice group of LF Rhode Island Reds hatched out of the Quad Bob brought me last fall. I never have been a huge RIR fan but I must say these have been a pleasure to raise. Hopefully the few that have Bob's line wil keep them going I know that would make him smile.

Does anyone breed Show Quality Standard Dark Cornish? I tried unsuccessfully several years ago to find some with the aid of Bob and we never could locate any. BTW, I have a nice group of LF Rhode Island Reds hatched out of the Quad Bob brought me last fall. I never have been a huge RIR fan but I must say these have been a pleasure to raise. Hopefully the few that have Bob's line wil keep them going I know that would make him smile.
I think Walt Leonard does. fowlman01 . Hum, apparently it is his partner Bob Jones who raises them.
http://www.webring.org/go?ring=poul...06%15%E7%FA%8D%D9%D0%A8%BF%90%C4%2B%7BUBQ&&go or http://tinyurl.com/ksjan9l (click on Jones and Leonard)

Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Edwin Smith probably has some of the best in the country right now. Caseacres.com is his website

Back
Top Bottom