A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

I played around for years, and began to have a preference for a type. That type was best represented by the New Hampshire. The New Hampshire could be said to be my "first love".

Overtime I came to appreciate more active breeds, that to me, made better old fashioned farm breeds. I prefer the colors black tailed red, white, and buff.

I began to wonder why there was no dual purpose birds that had the Mediterranean style, and in particular a Spanish flair. I sought out some Catalanas, and have made them my "project".

I like a bird that has some "spunk". Personality. To me, calm often meant lethargic or lazy. I like a bird that gets out and goes about it's business. I also expect them to fill the egg basket with large and extra large eggs of good quality.

I think choosing the breed is choosing what interests you the most. I think it is that simple, but not always so simple to know.
I tend to agree with you when it comes to wanting a bird with some "spunk". I have had a variety of hens as part of a "yard bird" band (I imagine most of us have had such a thing at one time or another). Ones that I didn't intend on breeding, but I needed eggs for breakfast and didn't want to eat the eggs of my show cochins. I always seemed to be drawn to the active hens. My favorites have been a Fayoumi, Welsummer and a La Fleche. All of them were good foragers and active. Of course, I only had one or two of each, so maybe I was drawn to those particular hens and they were not indicative of the breed. On the flip side, though, I had a Lakenvelder that was just plain crazy. There is such a thing as too fiesty as well.

I have raised bantam Cochins for years, but am moving to a mountainous piece of property in Northern California and would like to choose a different breed that may be more adapted to the terrain and am looking for suggestions.

These are some of my constraints and preferences:

1. I showed a lot in the 80s, but rarely since. I still try to breed to standard... This allows me to breed something less common that could take years to bring it up to show quality. I like the process, I am not in it for the awards or points.

2. My county only allows 4 roosters over the age of 6 months per parcel. I have two parcels, so I can go to 8...

3. Cockerel culls will be going in my freezer. It would sure be nice if I was able to identify culls when they were young enough to still be good eating. I don't mind holding over 10-15 until the 6 month mark allow the potential keepers to mature, but if I am hatching 100 or so a year I want to be able to cull the majority sooner than that...

4. This sounds silly, but I don't like white birds... Its not to say I wouldn't own a white bird, but if I am going to be feeding these things and looking at them every day for the next 10 years I should at least like what I see.

I am also not in a hurry. ...

My inclination is towards one of the "neglected" breeds: La Fleche, Campine, Java, Dorking etc. or a color variety that needs help (Speckled Sussex). This bias is mainly since I know I won't be showing much so I think I would contribute more to the fancy by helping to keep one of the rarer breeds from degrading more. I probably will show once or so a year just to give myself a check in to make sure that I am progressing with the breed and not getting tunnel vision.

I am particularly interested in how others chose their breed. Yellow house, how did you choose white Dorkings?

Suggestions? Comments or ideas?
I am rather fond of my Silver Grey Dorkings. I obtained a trio from Duane Urch, and find them lovely, intelligent birds. They also seem to have a larger "vocabulary" than other chickens I have raised. Mine do try to avoid actual contact, but the cock starts calling the flock for treats as soon as he sees me picking weeds or carrying a dish in the backyard. The broody hen became downright pushy in "demanding" treats (table scraps or a handful of scratch grain,) for her chicks when we walked by her pen. You can cull a great many at hatch by culling for toe number and placement, and up to 75 or 80 % at 3 months, the remainder by 6 months of age.
Just my opinion,
Angela

Nothing like a 6.0 quake to start your day. So far I don't see any damage, but the chickens are sure on edge. lol These old wood farm houses are the best place to be. They flex without breaking. This quake made no noise which is unusual....but 20 aeconds seemed like 20 minutes.

Walt

Nothing like a 6.0 quake to start your day. So far I don't see any damage, but the chickens are sure on edge. lol These old wood farm houses are the best place to be. They flex without breaking. This quake made no noise which is unusual....but 20 aeconds seemed like 20 minutes.

Walt
Whew ! Glad to hear you Californians are OK - you close to NAPA Valley [ that where quake was ? ]
Bet you don't need coffee to wake up when that happens .

Last edited:
Whew ! Glad to hear you Californians are OK - you close to NAPA Valley [ that where quake was ? ]
Bet you don't need coffee to wake up when that happens .

I just called Bob Jones in Napa and he has everything on the floor now. The quake shook all the things on the walls and shelves off onto the floor. I'm about 20 miles from the epicenter. Since this one didn't make any noise, it wasn't as bad as some I have been in. When you hear that roar and hear the building moving.....that adds quite a bit to the excitement.

Walt

Quote: I'm sorry to hear some people got hurt. And I hope your place is ok and your chickens calm down soon.

I am from Southern California I lived in Huntington Beach prior to moving to Alabama. I miss so much about Cali. but I do not miss the quakes. But dealing with the tornadoes and hurricanes here is not fun either.

I'm sorry to hear some people got hurt. And I hope your place is ok and your chickens calm down soon.

I am from Southern California I lived in Huntington Beach prior to moving to Alabama. I miss so much about Cali. but I do not miss the quakes. But dealing with the tornadoes and hurricanes here is not fun either.

Every place has something that can do you harm. This one was strange in that it didn't make noise. It adds to the excitement when they sound like a freight train. So far there is only one life threatening injury, but it is a child. A fireplace fell on him. A friend lost 4 dogs when her kennel fell on them. There will be a number of things as they get all the reports.

w.

Back
Top Bottom