A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

YHF wrote:

The same horrible scenario is currently going on in Orpingtons, Polish, Sussex, and Brahmas. Ridiculous and unsophisticated colors and types are being mused about on the internet by people with very limited understanding. They, in turn, in their ignorance, fill other new-comers up with stories of bogus glory. All of a sudden folks without a lick of standard-bred experience want to get their rubbish fowl into the SOP. When their inexperience is met with resistence from the APA/ABA communities, they assume it is because the APA/ABA community is unmalleable or exclusive, it doesn't occur to them that communities that are 140 years old and 100 years old respectively have dealt with a different worthless fad (or ten) every decade and have come to understand that they do much more harm than good.

It's rather frustrating that people have to do that to such good breeds. Brahmas have probably a dozen of "new" varieties. Just about none of them have that true Brahma type like they are suppose to. I know of just ONE person that is working with another variety and is doing so very successfully. His Brahmas would put A LOT of the standard Brahmas to shame. I do agree with threeriverschick in that the varieties that are already there should be the number one priority and many times they just aren't. Bantam white brahmas are accepted by the ABA and I can not find anyone that has them. I've come to the conclusion that they are extinct. I would love to one day recreate them and do it correctly. The darks and blacks( bantams ) also have few breeders.

YHF wrote:

The same horrible scenario is currently going on in Orpingtons, Polish, Sussex, and Brahmas. Ridiculous and unsophisticated colors and types are being mused about on the internet by people with very limited understanding. They, in turn, in their ignorance, fill other new-comers up with stories of bogus glory. All of a sudden folks without a lick of standard-bred experience want to get their rubbish fowl into the SOP. When their inexperience is met with resistence from the APA/ABA communities, they assume it is because the APA/ABA community is unmalleable or exclusive, it doesn't occur to them that communities that are 140 years old and 100 years old respectively have dealt with a different worthless fad (or ten) every decade and have come to understand that they do much more harm than good.

It's rather frustrating that people have to do that to such good breeds. Brahmas have probably a dozen of "new" varieties. Just about none of them have that true Brahma type like they are suppose to. I know of just ONE person that is working with another variety and is doing so very successfully. His Brahmas would put A LOT of the standard Brahmas to shame. I do agree with threeriverschick in that the varieties that are already there should be the number one priority and many times they just aren't. Bantam white brahmas are accepted by the ABA and I can not find anyone that has them. I've come to the conclusion that they are extinct. I would love to one day recreate them and do it correctly. The darks and blacks( bantams ) also have few breeders.

The white bantam brahmas are listed here (as are the black & dark):
http://standardbreedpoultry.com/bantam_chickens_for_sale.php

But as YHF stated to me about my breed of interest, this is not a breeder but a "multiplier" of quality stock and a decent starting point.

The white bantam brahmas are listed here (as are the black & dark):
http://standardbreedpoultry.com/bantam_chickens_for_sale.php

But as YHF stated to me about my breed of interest, this is not a breeder but a "multiplier" of quality stock and a decent starting point. 

If you click on them you'll notice that for the whites and blacks there aren't any names under them. I know there are breeders of bantam darks.it's just that a lot of them need improvement.

If you click on them you'll notice that for the whites and blacks there aren't any names under them. I know there are breeders of bantam darks.it's just that a lot of them need improvement.

I had another look...sorry, my mistake. I didn't realize they actually list breeds/varieties they don't/can't supply.

I have 3 1/2 month old Barred Plymouth Rocks and New Hampshires from XW Poultry Ranch. Should i seperate the roosters into one pen and the pullets into another? I want them to get older before I start culling them for breeders. I would like to keep the fighting at a minimum. I am new to breeding birds.

Last edited:
I have 3 1/2 month old Barred Plymouth Rocks and New Hampshires from XW Poultry Ranch. Should i seperate the roosters into one pen and the pullets into another? I want them to get older before I start culling them for breeders. I would like to keep the fighting at a minimum. I am new to breeding birds.

Absolutely yes! Keeping males and females together causes too much stress in the pen and they don't grow as well because the cockerels are so busy chasing pullets and each other, that it decreases the amount that they eat and what they do eat ends up getting run off of them - so they can wind up smaller than they should be. You're still likely to get some fighting among the cockerels, but it is usually not nearly as bad as when they are mixed in with the pullets.

I prefer to separate them a good bit earlier, around 2 months old, because some of my cockerels seem to get interested in sex pretty early and there is less fighting among the cockerels (once they are separated) if none of them have started getting interested in girls before separating the genders.

Just got back from the Eastern Ohio show in Tallmadge. I showed two hens and my cock. The hens received reserve and best Asiatic! The male got first for the cock birds, but his tail brought him down since he had some missing feathers.

Here is a pic of the Buckeye cockerel I got from Chris Mccary a couple weeks ago. He is only 4 months old but he is huge his pullets are behind him.
Chris is a great guy, he has great breeding practices and lovely birds. Recently made a trip down there to share birds with him. He has some older Buckeye cocks with shanks of mind-blowing width, truly incredible if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom