A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Can I please get some opinions on my Chanteclers. They were hatched Feb 23, 14. I know their legs are not as yellow as they should be but the are getting better. The chicks that I hatched off of them are beautiful and have bright yellow legs. Here are some pic.

My Cockerel is next to a Buckeye K that I got from Chris Mccary. They are about the same size abt. 8.5-9 lbs.

My 3 pullets

Pullet 1

Pullet 2

Pullet 3

Three 2 month old chicks

chick

Does anyone else have their breeding pens setup yet? I have two buff Brahma pens and three light Brahma pens. Each pen has three females and one male. Looks my buff pullets will be laying soon. They're getting red in the face and their pubic bones have spread to like two and a half of my fingers wide. Hopefully I'll see chicks the first of February!

Does anyone else have their breeding pens setup yet? I have two buff Brahma pens and three light Brahma pens. Each pen has three females and one male. Looks my buff pullets will be laying soon. They're getting red in the face and their pubic bones have spread to like two and a half of my fingers wide. Hopefully I'll see chicks the first of February!

Sounds exciting! I have my pen set up, but haven't put the cock in with the hen yet, still getting the brooding area ready first.
Best wishes,
Angela

I am building a pen/coop 28 feet by 28 feet. I will probably postpone breeding the australorp this spring and only hatch buff brahma (LF) until I have enough (that number is unknown). I am thinking with one hen and three pullets I will hatch for a month in the early spring with the incubator and then let my three silkie hens hatch during the summer. Only one pullet is looking like she is nearing point of lay, so..... March looks right for turning on the incubator. I am hoping I can find someone to feed the flock next fall and attend the "National".

Yes, but it will some time before I set any eggs.

I am getting anxious with my NH, pullets are laying medium sized eggs and Cock Dad just finished up molt. Thinking I need to let them grow out a little longer first though, don't want to pen them up just yet......... Weighed all 16 pullets tonight and tagged 5 - 6 of the larger ones for potential breeders. Working on improving size this year and using the largest pullets that were first to come into lay. The largest have been the first to come into lay so that is working out. They are a pound or more heavier than their Moms (and not done yet) so pleased with that progress. Moms are all a little undersize.

I like the Chanteclers. VERY pretty and big! They look very similar to my White Bresse (without the big combs). How are they for meat quality?

Back
Top Bottom