A honking sneeze?

Granny23

Songster
Aug 2, 2021
Fontana, California
Mildred, my Delaware White hen is 8-9 mos now. She's healthy as far as I can tell. I only have 6 hens and no one around us has chickens.
In the past couple months Ive heard this odd sound...like honking. Mildred sounds like she's honking...but more like a sneeze?? She doesn't seem sick. She's eating and laying and it isn't continuous. Just once in a while but it happens almost daily. Is she maybe getting dust in her beak from food or dirt or??? Should I be worried??

Watch to see what she's doing when you hear the noise - has just she just been eating or drinking, taking a dust bath, chasing or scratching about for treats, etc.

Very possible that she may be inhaling a piece of food or a little water or getting some dust in her nostrils.

Do check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight, take a peek inside her beak for any mucous or lesions just to be sure there's nothing going on there.

Sounds like she's acting normal. Usually this is a good sign that it's nothing serious.

Watch to see what she's doing when you hear the noise - has just she just been eating or drinking, taking a dust bath, chasing or scratching about for treats, etc.

Very possible that she may be inhaling a piece of food or a little water or getting some dust in her nostrils.

Do check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight, take a peek inside her beak for any mucous or lesions just to be sure there's nothing going on there.

Sounds like she's acting normal. Usually this is a good sign that it's nothing serious.
Thank you. I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom