A horrible, horrible night......UPDATE 11-19-11

He does have a gun. I think he will find them back in the run again (the 2 chickens who are alive have been relocated) and he will deal with them which also makes me sad because I caused all this.

Well if this problem is taken care of properly you could have your chickens as well as a new fur hat and slippers...
wink.png

It's like Forrest Gump said his mama told him, "wild is as wild does". Play with um all you want but they are wild animals and will react accordingly when time comes. I guess we learn better when lifes lessons comes with real pain. A shame it's that way but it is.

I can only imagine how you feel.
sad.png
Might sound mean but I will kill anything that gets close. So far just possum but a few other critters are getting noisy.

You sound like a real animal lover. I am very sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I also think raccoons are soo cute. However, after we lost 5 turkey poults to raccoons I had to change my thinking. We have chosen to raise poultry. We want the best environment, feed, and life experience for the poultry we have, a deep responsibility. They must be safe, that is our job.

Raccoons are a threat to the safety of our poultry and because in our county catch & release is a fined offense, they are trapped, shot and buried. Within 3 weeks of losing our last turkey, we had dispatched 5 raccoons. We keep the traps baited and are extremely diligent about securing the poultry areas.

It takes time, it is not easy, but it had to be done.

hugs.gif
We have all made mistakes that we regret. It was a learning experience. Baby raccoons are pretty hard to resist even knowing they will grow up to be big raccoons. Now just move on from it and take every possible precaution for the rest of your flock.

Don't beat yourself up. You did not know. Alot of people learn the hardway. I know I did. I lost 12 hens learning the hardway. We all make mistakes and learn. You did the best you knew how to at that time. I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss, hopefully you get that weak spot on the roof addressed and get everything back to normal very soon! It sounds like you'll have a new hat, or rug or something out of this deal!

Hardware cloth is the best to use. I have possums and racoons around here so I made sure I built my pens with the hardware cloth on all sides and the top...and aprons around the edges. There are possums that come up here to eat the left over cat food sometimes so I know they know the chickens are here.

Back
Top Bottom