A injured Chicken Foot

PVILLAGO

Songster
Jan 14, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Two days ago I noticed one of my girls was limping.
It's been wet and muddy here. I washed her feet. I see nothing wrong. She can't scratch but she still tries gingerly. She can't run to me anymore. She gets up on the roost at night but she walks up and takes two hops and she's ready for bed. I've moved her leg up and down. I feel nothing out of place. She doesn't like it. She stands on the roost with her foot tucked under her feathers. Any suggestions???

Two days ago I noticed one of my girls was limping.
It's been wet and muddy here. I washed her feet. I see nothing wrong. She can't scratch but she still tries gingerly. She can't run to me anymore. She gets up on the roost at night but she walks up and takes two hops and she's ready for bed. I've moved her leg up and down. I feel nothing out of place. She doesn't like it. She stands on the roost with her foot tucked under her feathers. Any suggestions???
Do you have any pictures? How old is she?

IMG_2856.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
I have no pictures. She's 2 going on 3yrs old

At first that's what I thought but I'm not sure. I'll look into that further because I don't know what else is wrong.
I did notice she has a "spur" like growing on that foot. The others don't have that. I don't know if hens get spurs or not but that is new

I did notice she has a "spur" like growing on that foot. The others don't have that. I don't know if hens get spurs or not but that is new
Yes, hens get spurs. That's normal and shouldn't be causing the limp. If it's not too cold there maybe you can soak it in Epsom salts? I don't see any injuries, but splinters or thorns but they can sometimes be small enough that you can't see.

Yes, hens get spurs. That's normal and shouldn't be causing the limp. If it's not too cold there maybe you can soak it in Epsom salts? I don't see any injuries, but splinters or thorns but they can sometimes be small enough that you can't see.
Thank you. The weather has been horrible.. freezing. Winds 45mph+,rain you name it. Texas has the strangest weather. Not seasons. When it warms up a bit ill give it a soaking. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom