A late hatch

And is there still a chance for the remaining eggs because I'm pretty sure I have three still trying maybe four

There's a container for water in the middle. If you fill it half way it's supposed to be about 50% and both containers filled is 100%. That's what the instructions said anyways

That's not how it works. Filling a container to a certain amount does not give you a certain percent of humidity. If your relative humidity in your house is 45% and you fill that half full, you may be 70% or higher. If my relative humidity is 16% and I fill it the same amount I may only have 40%.
On top of that there are other variables that will affect what humidity your eggs need. Not everyone will do well with the same ranges. That's where air cell monitoring comes in. I'm going to give you a link to help you with humidity. But I strongly feel humidity is your issue with these eggs.

http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Ok but I'm not sure how to lower it. Do I just keep less water in it?

I highly suggest getting a small hygrometer, if you can't keep it in there all the time due to room issues, you can at least periodically check it. Second, read the link I posted, I think that will help you better understand humidity and how to control it.

And is there still a chance for the remaining eggs because I'm pretty sure I have three still trying maybe four

Have you candled to find signs of life? If there's movement, I wouldn't give up, but if there's movement and the humidity hasn't caused issues, hatching late points to temps being slightly cool.

Thank you very much. That actually helped a lot. I hate that the information they give you on those packets is so off

Sorry to butt in but I was wondering if anyone has advice on my situation.
I had 10 eggs shipped to me and only 3 made it to lockdown. I originally got them for my broody hen but she wasn't as broody as I thought so I had to make an incubator on the fly. I've not been able to measure the humidity but my temp has been right at 100 on avg. There were a couple of times it went over and once under to about 85-90. They were set Feb 25 and still no signs of hatching. Someone recommended a float test which I did (water was 100 degrees). All three eggs wobbled. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Shipped eggs themselves don't usually do so good and you always loose an egg or two. They way you made the incubator might affect how they turned out. As my problem turned out to most likely be, humidity could be off

Shipped eggs themselves don't usually do so good and you always loose an egg or two. They way you made the incubator might affect how they turned out. As my problem turned out to most likely be, humidity could be off

I expected to lose at least half. I bought them on a whim so once they got here and my hen refused them, I scoured the internet on how to make an incubator. I didn't have the extra bucks to buy one. I bet it is a humidity thing

Well humidity sure did kick my butt. I was hoping to only loose a couple and them hatch Friday. Now it's almost Sunday and I've only got a couple left!

Sorry to butt in but I was wondering if anyone has advice on my situation.

​I had 10 eggs shipped to me and only 3 made it to lockdown. I originally got them for my broody hen but she wasn't as broody as I thought so I had to make an incubator on the fly. I've not been able to measure the humidity but my temp has been right at 100 on avg. There were a couple of times it went over and once under to about 85-90. They were set Feb 25 and still no signs of hatching. Someone recommended a float test which I did (water was 100 degrees). All three eggs wobbled. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do. If they were set on the 25th then today is day 21. If temps dropped to 85-90 for any length of time, that will delay things. And without any way to measure humidity, the only thing you can do is go by the air cells. I would definitely give them a couple more days.

​I expected to lose at least half. I bought them on a whim so once they got here and my hen refused them, I scoured the internet on how to make an incubator. I didn't have the extra bucks to buy one. I bet it is a humidity thing

It's possible, but without even temps you could just be seeing a delay.

Back
Top Bottom