A late hatch

Well the final report is no survivors. They made it all the way to day 30 and final gave in. My poor babies. In one final attempt I opened the eggs to see, and by then they were gone but one was a beautiful golden color and the other black and dark brown. The black one was missing one eye. It was so strange. The other was there and mostly closed like a normal diseased chicken but the other was caved in. The other chick started bleeding fairly heavy when I was burying her. The clearly wasn't breathing or moving though but now that will haunt me. I feel like I buried a live chick

Sorry to hear that. I think once you have better control with temps and humidity you'll see things turned around.

Nice! Way to keep that can-do attitude! I was going to try another batch but my 16 year old came back with a load of bantams because she felt bad for them. I may try again over the summer. Good luck on your next hatch whenever you get it started! I'll post some pics of the itty bitties at some point today :)

Aww those are adorable! My little babies have grown into near-juvenile chickens ready to start trying to integrate with my big flock. Do you know what kind of bantams or just random? And I'm starting a new batch once I can get some fertile pure Cochin eggs from my smallest flock. They just moved to the other side of the yard so they're a little stressed

I have no clue what they are! We're thinking the two nameless chicks could be a type of frizzle and the other a golden sebright which would be my equivalent to winning the ornamental chicken lottery! My daughter just picked out all the ones no one else wanted. They all were feathered out and had been there for quite a while according to the employee who helped her. She's the type who would save every animal on the planet if she could

The bottom is definitely a frizzle of some sort. I have a rooster and hen frizzled Cochin. That means my pure Cochin babies have a 50% of being frizzled! You sound as excited about your sebright as I am about my sweetheart Pigeon. She's one of Dusty's (my frizzled rooster) girls and she's a lavender Cochin. Hoping for something amazing from those two. And your daughter sounds like me. For all but chickens I'll take in any animal that needs it. Chickens just can die so easily and you can't be sure about grown chickens coming in no matter how bad I want them
1f629.png

No need to be! You live and you learn. They were my test batch that I used to mess with the settings and hope I got right. I did get another thermometer and an actual hydrometer so I can be sure of the calibration for that

I'm pretty sure you meant hygrometer (just make sure it's measuring humidity and you test it beforehand... instructions on this site somewhere using a plastic bag and salt I believe). I believe you said you had the Brinsea Mini? I had a Brinsea Mini for a short time. I found it difficult to maintain consistent temp/humidity (or at least know what the true readings were). I even tucked the sensor beneath the edge and hung one from the top. Still, it was difficult to be sure, due to the small space and the fan. By comparison, the Brinsea Octagon 20 was amazing. It maintained temp and humidity and I only had to make small additions for humidity. I don't have the advanced, so I control this myself. Due to the larger area, it's so much easier to reach that equilibrium. I began to use one for incubating and another for hatching. It was so easy to return temp/humidity within moments of opening the lid. Trying to cut cost, I tried an LG and on day 3 it read 100 on the display and my own thermometers read 114 degrees! I returned it immediately but days later came the blood rings. Hatching is so rewarding when you feel successful. There are so many articles about it on this site. Wishing you a more successful hatch next time around.

Last edited:
I have no clue what they are! We're thinking the two nameless chicks could be a type of frizzle and the other a golden sebright which would be my equivalent to winning the ornamental chicken lottery! My daughter just picked out all the ones no one else wanted. They all were feathered out and had been there for quite a while according to the employee who helped her. She's the type who would save every animal on the planet if she could

Nameless definitely looks frizzled! My daughter chose her first chick from TSC from the bantam bin and it turned out to be a RIR, not bantam and not a red mix.

Yeah that's what I meant sorry. iPhones love to 'correct' you. And this is the only incubator my parents would allow me to have plus I need everything automatic because I have school and after school programs. I wouldn't be able to do that on my own... hey has anyone ever had a hen sit on eggs up until a few days before hatch and saw how that went. I feel like it would take a lot of human error out

I've found that chickens from tractor supply aren't so great. Nothing wrong with the birds of course but I was told all the first chickens I picked out would be girls and I ended up with a huge fat eating chicken that looked like it had GMOs in it. Poor boy could barely walk he was so big. Didn't make it long either. Only a few months. That was 5-6 years ago. I still have a hen from that batch!

Back
Top Bottom