A late hatch

Was she active? Even if she was because of how short the incubation period is, things might not have been built right. Some just have 'failure to thrive'

She was Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday it was off and on but she chirped loudly most of the day but I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Temp in the brooder was good, plenty of food and water, and she wasn't picked on by the others that I saw. Anytime she would do the scream chirping, I'd rush to go check things but it was a mystery. Picking her up and cradling her in my hand was about the only way to calm her. This morning before I left, there was ample food, water, and heat but she seemed too quiet. By the time I returned, my mom said she had passed after looking kind of lethargic.

Yeah that's what I meant sorry. iPhones love to 'correct' you. And this is the only incubator my parents would allow me to have plus I need everything automatic because I have school and after school programs. I wouldn't be able to do that on my own... hey has anyone ever had a hen sit on eggs up until a few days before hatch and saw how that went. I feel like it would take a lot of human error out

I've found that chickens from tractor supply aren't so great. Nothing wrong with the birds of course but I was told all the first chickens I picked out would be girls and I ended up with a huge fat eating chicken that looked like it had GMOs in it. Poor boy could barely walk he was so big. Didn't make it long either. Only a few months. That was 5-6 years ago. I still have a hen from that batch!

I'm so sorry. It's hard when you are limited.
Lots of people use silkies instead of incubators. They tend to go broody easily.

Also, it sounds like you might have had a broiler chicken. They are developed to grow fast and will outgrow their legs :( .

Yep I'm aware that's what he turned out to be. I loved him. He was my first rooster and he'd attack everyone but me. He'd stand in the water bowl to cool his feet too!

I'm thinking about using my cochins for most of the process then moving them to the incubator a few days before they're set to hatch

As to the Buttercup crisis, I have that sort of thing happen just about every batch. My last batch sounded like what you're saying. One day Blue was doing great, the next she couldn't walk, hours after that she died in my hands with a final peep goodbye. Still have no clue what got to her but it didn't affect my other chicks

She was Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday it was off and on but she chirped loudly most of the day but I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Temp in the brooder was good, plenty of food and water, and she wasn't picked on by the others that I saw. Anytime she would do the scream chirping, I'd rush to go check things but it was a mystery. Picking her up and cradling her in my hand was about the only way to calm her. This morning before I left, there was ample food, water, and heat but she seemed too quiet. By the time I returned, my mom said she had passed after looking kind of lethargic.

It's hard when we lose them. In case there are any other young ones, that were just thriving. Though it's said that we don't need chick grit when they're solely on the chick starter, I mix it in. I have found more success in avoiding problems. I also try to remember to do bottom checks a couple times a day to be sure their bottoms aren't caked with stool and therefore preventing passage. I had one that appeared to have a smaller anus. Oh my it was a constant issue... warm soaks sometimes. Of course, I have to do the vitamin/probiotic supplement in the water. I also do fermented feed. But this is my preference, along with hanging a water bottle from the start. Within 3/4 days I can confirm that all have learned to use it and I can pull the additional dish. One more thing, and forgive me if this is stuff you already know... you mentioned heat. But be sure there is a place that is shaded. This allows them to find the right temp for them and not become overheated too. My daughter puts a couple of dowels through the container and puts a piece of fabric over it. It also gives them somewhere to begin roosting in the near future.

It's hard when we lose them. In case there are any other young ones, that were just thriving. Though it's said that we don't need chick grit when they're solely on the chick starter, I mix it in. I have found more success in avoiding problems. I also try to remember to do bottom checks a couple times a day to be sure their bottoms aren't caked with stool and therefore preventing passage. I had one that appeared to have a smaller anus. Oh my it was a constant issue... warm soaks sometimes. Of course, I have to do the vitamin/probiotic supplement in the water. I also do fermented feed. But this is my preference, along with hanging a water bottle from the start. Within 3/4 days I can confirm that all have learned to use it and I can pull the additional dish. One more thing, and forgive me if this is stuff you already know... you mentioned heat. But be sure there is a place that is shaded. This allows them to find the right temp for them and not become overheated too. My daughter puts a couple of dowels through the container and puts a piece of fabric over it. It also gives them somewhere to begin roosting in the near future.

Thank you for the information! All others are hyper little squirts. I have empty dvd case "tents" for them at the far end of the brooder where the temp is cooler. They use them to go in and sleep or perch on top of them. I still haven't incorporated a hanging waterer but it will happen soon since they want to use the dish as a wading pool. We had some issues with pasty but when we got them home and Buttercup had the worst of it but it had cleared up with soaking and patting. But, when it did get stuck, the others pecked at it a lot. Is it possible they broke the skin and caused infection that I may have missed?

​Thank you for the information! All others are hyper little squirts. I have empty dvd case "tents" for them at the far end of the brooder where the temp is cooler. They use them to go in and sleep or perch on top of them. I still haven't incorporated a hanging waterer but it will happen soon since they want to use the dish as a wading pool. We had some issues with pasty but when we got them home and Buttercup had the worst of it but it had cleared up with soaking and patting. But, when it did get stuck, the others pecked at it a lot. Is it possible they broke the skin and caused infection that I may have missed?

At this point, don't stress yourself out about it. We never saw her. Some chicks don't thrive, but fade. Since you have shade options, that's great. The chicken water bottle isn't a must-- it just keeps the bedding dry-- as long as it doesn't leak ;)

At this point, don't stress yourself out about it. We never saw her. Some chicks don't thrive, but fade. Since you have shade options, that's great. The chicken water bottle isn't a must-- it just keeps the bedding dry-- as long as it doesn't leak
wink.png

I used one with my 1 yr olds when they were babies after discovering they don't mind soiling in their water supply! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom