A late hatch

The only reason I remember the date the I set them is because we went to a garden show that day, otherwise I think I would've lost track.

Have you seen any signs of hatching or heard any chirping? This is the first time I've tried hatching chicken eggs, I've only hatched quail and we could hear chirping a couple of days ahead. I keep looking and looking to see if anything is happening in mine. I know that for sure 13 had moving chicks in them a few days before lockdown but I didn't really pay good attention to the air cells and after reading about them more I wish I would have.
This is so nerve wracking! :)

Ugh no fair! I've got a whole lot of nothing going on in mine. Didn't hear anything from them, and didn't even see much movement in them. At this point I feel like they won't hatch successfully at all

Ok I've still got absolutely nothing. When is it safe to open the container to check for survivors and does anyone have any clue what's going on. I'm desperate at this point

Ok I've still got absolutely nothing. When is it safe to open the container to check for survivors and does anyone have any clue what's going on. I'm desperate at this point

You can look at any time. It's not going to hurt anything. I'm too lazy to go back and read everything so I'm just going to ask a couple questions and forgive me if you've already said.
What kind of incubator, still or forced air? What temps did you have and have you checked the accuracy of the thermometers and hygrometer? What was your humidity the first 17 days? Did you monitor your air cells? What kind of eggs are they? Local or shipped?

Guess that's more than a couple...
1f609.png

No trouble at all. Anything for my chickens... I have a brinsea mini advanced with forced air. It's set to 37.5 C. There is no hydrometer and I'm not sure how to check if the temperature was accurate. Humidity was at 50% at first. I did monitor the air cells and the eggs are from my own chickens, the mother being a Wyandotte and the father being a polish

No trouble at all. Anything for my chickens... I have a brinsea mini advanced with forced air. It's set to 37.5 C. There is no hydrometer and I'm not sure how to check if the temperature was accurate. Humidity was at 50% at first. I did monitor the air cells and the eggs are from my own chickens, the mother being a Wyandotte and the father being a polish

How do you know what the humidity is if you don't have a hygrometer?

There's a container for water in the middle. If you fill it half way it's supposed to be about 50% and both containers filled is 100%. That's what the instructions said anyways

I would say, if there was life at lockdown, and your humidity was running 50% on the average over the first 17 days, they've suffered too high humidity. 50% is usually too high for most and it keeps the egg from loosing enough moisture. I would suggest lowering the humidity down to 30% ish, monitoring air cells for proper growth and raising it to 65-75% day 18 for hatch.

Back
Top Bottom