A late hello from north of the border

520farmer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Rio Rico, AZ
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I first got into chickens a few years ago after my first son was born, I wanted to show my children that we have to depend on ourselfs to keep us healthy, and I also have alot of great memories of going to visit my family in Illinois when I was a kid and wanted my kids to have some of those same great memories

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now we only have one Bantam Braman, we moved to a new city and some feral dogs came and ate all the ones that couldnt fly away
somad.gif
But I have already ordered some showgirl eggs from the byc forums and they should be here by the end of the week, this will be my first attempt at hatching eggs
jumpy.gif

(3) What breeds do you have?

one bantam brahman and showgirl eggs on the way

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Ive been lurking on here for a few years, back when I got my first chickens this website helped me so much, and still does!!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I make my own beer and cider when I have the time, I enjoy hunting and fishing, gadening and hanging out with my family

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a beautiful wife, a 2 1/2 year old, 3 1/2 year old, and a 15 1/2 year old lol, we have our one little chicken, 2 'vicious' pitbulls and 2 red eared sliders. Im trying to convince my family that we also need rabbits, goats, and tilapia
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I hope your dogs can kick butt because other preds will be after your chickens as well. Show girls especially if bearded with big crests don't see well enough to notice predators till it's too late. The silky wing feathers are pretty much useless for flying as well. They would do better in a ft.knox type run with top (to prevent hawk attacks).

we have our fence up and dogs here with us now so they should be good we havent had any problem with the hawks but I have plenty of cover for my little girl to run to, back in tucson my dogs used to attack the hawks whenever they had an oppertunity, its pretty commical watching two dogs try to jump up and fight a bird lol

Back
Top Bottom