A Late Layer or Something Else ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ms Grit, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Ms Grit

Ms Grit New Egg

Jul 27, 2010
    Well, today my daughter brought in a "First" egg from one of my Rhode Island Reds, or what appears to be a "First" egg. The confusing thing is that during the summer, I added three new girls to my henhouse (I now have 8 hens and 1 rooster) and they were 16-18 weeks old at the time, which would put my youngest hens at approx 40 weeks old. The egg is about twice the size of a quarter, the same size as most of the other "Firsts" we have gotten. It seems to me that 40 weeks old would be late for a first egg, isn't it?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's a bit on the late side, but within normal limits. We are spoiled by all those early laying production breeds out there, so we expect all birds to start laying young. I just had a new layer start. That layer would be about 48 weeks old. She is a late bloomer.

Enjoy the new eggs.

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    One of my hens born in May just layed her fist egg today, and one of her "siblings" still hasn't... I'm patient!

4. Ms Grit

Ms Grit New Egg

Jul 27, 2010
    Thanks for your responses. I am only 3 years into this and do still have some of my original girls, so I don't add newbies very often.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. My latest layer so far has been at 38 1/2 weeks. Two of em actually, dark brahmas.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by