A Light Question

mapa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Mc Gill, Nevada
I have a heat light that gives a little warmth on cold nights. I know it should be set on a timer to simulate about 12 hours of light ... but... will that over work the hens in winter? (natural light in the day and heat light at night) Don't know if this makes sense....

The hens need about 14 hours of daylight. I purchased a timer switch to plug my light into so that it comes on abot 4am. It was about 6 dollars at WalMart, in electrical section.
If your hens are feathered out, they wont need a heat lamp this winter, if you feel they still need it, plug it into a timer switch also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on where you are, you may not need to use extra light at all. I'm in KY, don't use extra light, and have eggs all winter long. Actually, more than in the summer, because I keep broody breeds, and in the winter they don't brood.

You only need extra light for peak egg production. Except for a few breeds that only lay seasonally, (like Barnevelders) the idea that hens must have 12-14 hours of daylight to lay eggs is simply not true. It is a myth. If you have breeds that will lay in winter, unless you are far north and have no daylight, or less than 8 hours, I wouldn't use extra light at all, unless they need it for heat. I do that sometimes if it's going to be 20F or colder, maybe a total of 1 or 2 weeks (spread out), where I am.

Back
Top Bottom