A lil long, but here I am. ;)

AHenry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
SC, USA
My Coop
My Coop
I think this introduction is in the right place. My phone doesn't agree with your site very well. Don't take it personally. My phone hates every site equally. LoL
I am awful at introducing myself. But I did find some questions on a newbie thread and thought I would give it a go "superstar interview style".:p

(1)  Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We had many farm animals when I was a kiddo. I am learning so much now about the way people keep chickens now that are different than how we kept them. Things like candling and the MANY different breeds with their differences are new to me. So are many of the terms I see all over the net. My mom abandoned the farm/outdoorsy life when my dad died.
I have always longed to get back to that lifestyle. I started to when I was about 20. I later married someone who turned out to prefer city life. 7 years later, something happened that changed me, and reminded me of where I belong. That was 2 years ago. After a total life overhaul, I am finally back in the countryside. I have even run into a childhood friend in a similar journey back to his farmboy roots!:love Life sure has a funny way about it!

(2)  How many chickens do you have right now?
We have been caring for the neighbor's 13 chickens. He has been having a hard spell. So in exchange, we got 16 eggs to incubate our own. Then, we found 16 more under my car a couple days ago. Since you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch, and the 13 aren't ours, I can't give a number to this question, yet.;)

(3)  What breeds do you have?
I would like to know that answer, too. LoL They are all different except the 2 I call "The Twins". One looks like a picture of a Silkie I found on the net, except she always looks like she has an angry face.:mad: All are small except 1 big one who thinks he is small enough to fit where the others can. LoL Poor fella.

(4)  How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Researching as much as I can, I kept finding myself coming back to this site. There ware others learning mixed in with the more experienced folk without any snobish newbie hatin'. (Or at least, I haven't seen any, yet. Kudos to the mods/admins.)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to try my hand at just about anything and everything. I love to learn new things. I love working with my hands and mind. I enjoy fixing and making things, esp if someone tells me it can't be done. I am very active...hiking, swimming, fishing, hunting, etc. I used to make costumes and props for a theater. I have always loved sewing and artsy/crafty activities.

(6)  Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I adopted a Pom named Spencer. A cat adopted us, recently, that we call Mow-Mow. We have a guinea that the former tenants abandoned. I suppose he is ours since he follows me around but is afraid of and aggressive toward everyone else. I have a turtle from my sis and some fish that were supposed to be food for the bullfrogs that until recently owned our spare bathroom. Most of the bugs we had were released to prepare for moving. (As were many other critters.)

Well, the questions are answered. I hope I passed the test. LoL

That did it! You passed
thumbsup.gif
Now you are officially a member of Backyard Chickens.
wee.gif
The Learning Center is a great place to start. Then you'd probably like the topics in the "Raising Backyard Chickens," forum and maybe mosey over to "Where am I, where are you?" in the social forum, so you can locate and post on your state thread. You may even find some chickeners living in your area.

BTW glad you joined the flock.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You get an A plus on your introduction; very good and thorough. I hate it when I'm away from my PC and have to post on BYC using my phone. The auto-spell correcting is especially infuriating. If you would like your chicken breeds identified, just post some full body profile pics of them on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this, and let our experts there take a look at them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks! :)
I have been reading like crazy! LoL
There's so much I didn't know that I didn't know.
I don't remember there being this much to them. Back in the day the only breed of chicken that existed was one...simply called "chicken" with sub-breeds known as red chicken, white chicken, black chicken, etc. LoL
I guess there was much that the residents of our lil village didn't know that they didn't know, too.
Maybe because most kept chickens out of necessity rather than interest, hobby, or care.
The methods worked, but always blindly. I am too curious to be ok with blindly following basics without deeper understanding of how to improve hatch rates, egg production, egg quality, and such.

Thank you.
I have been trying to learn and use this site on my phone, too. I think its plan is to frustrate me til I surrender. LoL (But I will win!)
As soon as I can get pics on here, that would be great to learn what they are. I never saw a chicken with fluffy feet or a poofy head. Too cute!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Stop by this section of the forums for mobile users. You probably need to download a BYC app....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16183/mobile-feedback

You can ask any questions there too. Take a look at the "stickies" (articles) at the top of the page too. Might have what you are looking for there.

Welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom