A little bump on my rabbit's foot...what can it be?

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
5 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
Hello, I was just finishing up doing general maintenance on my two pet bunnies (grooming, nail trimming, look overs) when I noticed a little bump on my rabbit's hind right foot, on the bottom to the side.

She is a harlequin rabbit, about 5 years old if not closer to 6 (she was a rescue and I don't quite know her exact age when we got her). Pumpkin, the rabbit, does live in a wire cage although I make sure she and her companion have both a mat and a tile in there to get a break from it. She also gets run around time on the ground outside. (we are actually planning on making a run soon so they can live in that during the day, but that's besides the point) Pumpkin has never had a health issue in all the years I've had her surprisingly.

The bump is hard, but not like rock-hard. It's a tad squishy, and not very big. I haven't seen her limping or favoring that foot at all. It doesn't seem to really bother her, I was feeling and looking at it without an issue, but when I kept messing with the fur around it to get a better picture she freaked out twice, but calmed down afterwards. I can't feel anything else around the bump or anywhere else on the foot. (I also felt both feet for comparison) I'm worried for what it can be.

I'll be doing my research in the meanwhile, but does anyone know what it could be? My first thought when I saw it was sore hocks, but I had a rabbit that had a small case of that, and from what I know sore hock doesn't cause lumps on the foot. And she has never had any issues with the wire we keep her on. (It's the proper size too)

I'd like to first do research and figure it out before I rush her to the vet--I always make sure to do so in case it is something I can treat here at home.

Here are a few pictures:

20200626_133741.jpg

20200626_133952.jpg
20200626_134007.jpg

It's probably an abscess. It's like a pimple, and you just make a poke in it and squeeze out the gunk
I was wondering if that was what it is. And I was figuring if it isn't serious, I might be able to pop it myself, although I'm hesitant to do anything right away until I get a few more opinions...google can be hit or miss, and I can't find much information on this frustratingly. :/

But thanks so much for the reply!

Odds are it's not serious. Usually what happens is they get poked on something and since they don't wash their paws, it gets a little infected. Do you know any rabbit 4hers nearby? They're usually well versed in popping them

Odds are it's not serious. Usually what happens is they get poked on something and since they don't wash their paws, it gets a little infected. Do you know any rabbit 4hers nearby? They're usually well versed in popping them
I was thinking it isn't serious, but I still wanted to get on it quick to avoid it getting worse or letting my rabbit experience possible pain or discomfort. I don't know of any 4hers; although typically so long as I am able and if it is right I am more than willing to cure/deal with anything I can with my animals. If it needs to be popped, I'll probably learn how to do it myself.

Thanks for the explanation!

Being she is older I'd think it's a wart or skin tag? Could be ingrown hair?
Possibly, I don't know. It could also just be a callous, for right now I'm only monitoring it and not doing anything. I'm unsure if it's an ingrown hair, only because it isn't red or swollen or anything, but maybe that wouldn't happen. I haven't checked her foot yet today, but the last two times I have she didn't seem to like having it touched.

Back
Top Bottom