A little down, just need to get it off my chest...

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
I'm just a little depressed. I interviewed for an internship a little over a month ago and was waiting to hear back from her. Just got the email today that I did not get it. It came down to me and one other person, but they decided on the other person that was more interested in graphic design (I'm more interested in corporate marketing). I have interviewed at 6 places, got offered the position at 3 of them. However, none really felt like the right fit. I was really hoping for this one. Now I'm back to square one and applying for internships again. I have a job if I want it, but it is at a gas station and I would rather try to get something in my field of study. I'm graduating in May too, and I don't think it will look too good without and internship on my resume.

If I don't find anything, I'll go back to working my old job, and I'll try to volunteer somewhere so it does not look like I have not been doing nothing for the next 5 months before I graduate.

Sorry to read you did not get what you wanted.Keep trying.Something good will come your way!

Hello. I am also a graphic designer. It is hard to find the right combination of things with the type of work, pay and environment you are looking for. When I first graduated I was really frustrated also. My advice would be to apply for everything you see, do as many interviews as you can and take any design job or internship you can get now, even if it is not ideal. But, keep trying and keep looking.

Every job you take you will learn something and it can help you down the road in ways you might not even expect. I took an internship that was really not what I wanted but I learned a lot and kept looking, moved on to a higher paying job that was closer but still not ideal and then finally landed my dream job. It took me a few year but I got to where I wanted to be and I am confident you will also.

Work on building your resume and designing your resume to be your own identity. Make yourself a website and make you are a part of linkedin and any other relevant communities. It may take a little time for that perfect opportunity to arrise and you want to be ready for it when it does.

I am not in corporate marketing but I am a designer and professional commercial artist so feel free to PM me if you want to talk about design.

I'm a part of LinkedIn and have an online portfolio on CargoCollective. The one internship was basically a call center where I would not be learning anything. The second was for a radio station, but I would be required to be out until 1-2 in the morning at bars and clubs alone around Baltimore City (IE, top 5 in murders across the US). Once I knew about that, I really did not feel comfortable working that. The last one could have worked out, but it was was also the very first interview I had and I had 5 others lined up. I was offered that position on the spot and could not give them an answer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom