A little Egg and Big Birds

Bone Bunny

Chirping
Mar 16, 2022
Im so freakin eggcited!

We have 4, 4 1/2 mo old brahma pullets. I wasn't expecting to have eggs yet, but I've gone out to find 3 eggs in 4 days. Perfect little eggs, with a yolk and even the bullseye. I have not come across any other eggs, even though they are free-range. We have a 6 foot fence so I have been able to check the yard for other eggs and have not found anything. I wasn't expecting eggs for at least another 1-2 months. Because it seems early for their breed and I was also expecting fairy eggs, or something weird. These are just on the small side for a brahma. (I think) I am pretty sure I know who is doing it too, but can't be 100% yet because they go in and out in pairs.

Once they start laying these small eggs, how long before they become normal size? I read that it takes the system a few tries. If she is just starting out, is it ok that she is laying every day, just about?

Holy crap I'm excited!

1660130973425.png

Im so freakin eggcited!

We have 4, 4 1/2 mo old brahma pullets. I wasn't expecting to have eggs yet, but I've gone out to find 3 eggs in 4 days. Perfect little eggs, with a yolk and even the bullseye. I have not come across any other eggs, even though they are free-range. We have a 6 foot fence so I have been able to check the yard for other eggs and have not found anything. I wasn't expecting eggs for at least another 1-2 months. Because it seems early for their breed and I was also expecting fairy eggs, or something weird. These are just on the small side for a brahma. (I think) I am pretty sure I know who is doing it too, but can't be 100% yet because they go in and out in pairs.

Once they start laying these small eggs, how long before they become normal size? I read that it takes the system a few tries. If she is just starting out, is it ok that she is laying every day, just about?

Holy crap I'm excited!

View attachment 3217872
Congratulations! Those first eggs are always so exciting!

The eggs will get bigger with time, how long it takes sort of depends. If they take a break in winter like mine did then next Spring you should start to see full sized eggs. If they don’t take a break then it will probably be by the end of the year or so. It’s a gradual change and seems to be a little different for each girl.

Egg size will gradually increase, but generally Brahmas lay a more medium size egg than the high production breeds.

Congratulations! Those first eggs are always so exciting!

The eggs will get bigger with time, how long it takes sort of depends. If they take a break in winter like mine did then next Spring you should start to see full sized eggs. If they don’t take a break then it will probably be by the end of the year or so. It’s a gradual change and seems to be a little different for each girl.

Thank you for the replies! Everything I looked up, made me think I was supposed to be seeing odd things, like rubber eggs or yokeless. So for them to be like this, just small made me unsure. They weigh right at 35 g and I was thinking closer to 49g.

Right before they lay, is it common for them to walk with their tailfeathers turned down a bit? I have noticed 2 of them doing that recently.

Thank you for the replies! Everything I looked up, made me think I was supposed to be seeing odd things, like rubber eggs or yokeless. So for them to be like this, just small made me unsure. They weigh right at 35 g and I was thinking closer to 49g.

Right before they lay, is it common for them to walk with their tailfeathers turned down a bit? I have noticed 2 of them doing that recently.
I think a lot of disclaimers are given about the possible hiccups when starting lay because people ask about it a lot, ie the rubber eggs and such. Doesn’t always happen and that’s a good thing!

I see my pullets do this a little bit. It’s almost like they’re not sure if it’s an egg or a big poop :lol:

Everything I looked up, made me think I was supposed to be seeing odd things, like rubber eggs or yokeless. So for them to be like this, just small made me unsure. They weigh right at 35 g and I was thinking closer to 49g.
What you are seeing is normal. As complicated as putting an egg together is, it is not unusual for weird things to happen. Even mature hens can occasionally have an oops. If you see something weird when they get older don't panic. It is just an "oops", I think we are all entitled to an occasional oops. It's when it gets consistent that it becomes a problem.

It is not unusual to see a weird egg when they first start but the vast majority get it right, even with their first egg.

Once they start laying these small eggs, how long before they become normal size?
The earlier they start to lay the smaller their first eggs can be. If she had waited a month to start laying the first egg would have been larger. The eggs will gradually get larger the longer they lay. It is not an overnight thing. It might be fun to put an egg in the fridge and then compare it in size to what you get in a month. That might give you an appreciation as to how fast they grow at the start of lay.

The rate of growth will slow down the longer she lays but it should keep going until she molts. When she starts laying after a molt you might notice a jump in egg size. I don't know when they will become what you consider normal. I don't worry about stuff like that, I'm not sure what normal means.

The rate of growth will slow down the longer she lays but it should keep going until she molts. When she starts laying after a molt you might notice a jump in egg size. I don't know when they will become what you consider normal. I don't worry about stuff like that, I'm not sure what normal means.
Thank you for your reply! When choosing the breed we wanted to go with, we chose brahma for the med-large egg as well as the winter laying. Plus the size (I'm a sucker for giant breeds of anything.) These eggs are smaller than the Ayam Cemani eggs I have been hatching.

I guess I meant normal, as in, a more normal size for the breed. My bad for not explaining properly.

Back
Top Bottom