a little help please...

ChooksRfun

Chirping
Sep 9, 2018
I've hand raised 4, 13 wk old chooks. 1 appears to be a cockerel. I can't keep roos. These four are very tight & always together, even free-ranging. If one is seperated, panic (& 'screaming') ensues. I don't know what's best for them. There's a no-kill farm of 200 chickens that will take my sweet cockerel. Won't he be lost? Is it better to keep them together? I'd have to give them all away (break my heart.) What's best for my extremely tight knit foursome? Thanks

I've hand raised 4, 13 wk old chooks. 1 appears to be a cockerel. I can't keep roos. These four are very tight & always together, even free-ranging. If one is seperated, panic (& 'screaming') ensues. I don't know what's best for them. There's a no-kill farm of 200 chickens that will take my sweet cockerel. Won't he be lost? Is it better to keep them together? I'd have to give them all away (break my heart.) What's best for my extremely tight knit foursome? Thanks
I had two groups of chickens and when I tried to take one out and put it in the other group I had no idea they had such a strong bond. Its been months and they are still grouped up. I have 23 chickens total with six roosters and the rest hens. Im not sure why people cant have rooster unless its because of a town ordinance or the roosters fight. Fortunately I have a hellova rooster in my ayam cemanti. If anyone has issues...he solves it...if someone chases a female he chases them away..literally. No males are allowed to mate except him and he rarely does. He has his own woman, another ayam cemanti. I think if you separate him and put him with a bunch of other chickens it may harm him mentally. I recently got two rooster...a showgirl and a silkie and I know for a fact if I only took one both of them may have died from loneliness. They are together 100% of the time and if I ever take one to pick up and hold the other one is pecking my leg. I hope you can find someway to keep him. Perhaps if you cant and have to give him away think about giving up one or two chickens so he is not left all by himself. Chickens are very family oriented.

I had two groups of chickens and when I tried to take one out and put it in the other group I had no idea they had such a strong bond. Its been months and they are still grouped up. I have 23 chickens total with six roosters and the rest hens. Im not sure why people cant have rooster unless its because of a town ordinance or the roosters fight. Fortunately I have a hellova rooster in my ayam cemanti. If anyone has issues...he solves it...if someone chases a female he chases them away..literally. No males are allowed to mate except him and he rarely does. He has his own woman, another ayam cemanti. I think if you separate him and put him with a bunch of other chickens it may harm him mentally. I recently got two rooster...a showgirl and a silkie and I know for a fact if I only took one both of them may have died from loneliness. They are together 100% of the time and if I ever take one to pick up and hold the other one is pecking my leg. I hope you can find someway to keep him. Perhaps if you cant and have to give him away think about giving up one or two chickens so he is not left all by himself. Chickens are very family oriented.
Great info thanks. I agree, I think he'd be extremely stressed & it would harm him to go alone. Their bond is extremely strong. They are a little family. I cannot keep him unless he doesn't crow!? I will give up my beloved flock if it's best. I only have the four total. I aporeciate your input & advice.

Back
Top Bottom