DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
This is the last of 9 eggs to hatch under a broody. Everyone else hatch late yesterday and during the night.
I broke away the small bit if shell around the pip and put it back under mom.
I checked on it after 3 hours and it was still peeping but had made no progress so I pulled away the shell that is gone in this picture. I put coconut oil on the membrane as it was dry and tight. I put the egg back under mom and she got up and left it.
I've now got it sitting on a damp towel on a heating pad set to Med Hi.
What do I do? I've only ever let a hen hatch eggs. I have no idea what to do.
IMG_20200501_145045090.jpg

1588359673929886263565768261497.jpg

It might be part of the umbilical cord. I still see some small little veins. I'd guess it will be ready by this evening.
She hatched a little over 2 hours ago and is tucked under her mother with the other 7 that hatched. I named her MaeDay and she darn well better be a pullet that will stay here after all she and I went through!
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
IMG_20200501_200445469.jpg

Her siblings... Naturally all pullets too!!
IMG_20200501_111155621.jpg

Well, take away the wet towel. It seems like it would up humidity, but it actually chills the chick. Are there still active blood veins? Is the chick yawning/chewing?

Well, take away the wet towel. It seems like it would up humidity, but it actually chills the chick. Are there still active blood veins? Is the chick yawning/chewing?
I've got my hand in the towel and it's warm in there. But I'll remove the towel.
Yes, it's chewing/yawning and peeping occasionally.

I've got my hand in the towel and it's warm in there. But I'll remove the towel.
Yes, it's chewing/yawning and peeping occasionally.
It probably is either a "late bloomer" or was on the outer edge of the eggs. If it's yawning and there are still blood veins it needs some more time to absorb yolk. Keep the membrane moist with the oil and keep it warm. Then just wait. Make sure you don't give it any food or water orally, as it might aspirate. They can live off the yolk for several days. Let me know how it goes. Give it 3-4 more hours to absorb and then look for yawning/veins again.

It probably is either a "late bloomer" or was on the outer edge of the eggs. If it's yawning and there are still blood veins it needs some more time to absorb yolk. Keep the membrane moist with the oil and keep it warm. Then just wait. Make sure you don't give it any food or water orally, as it might aspirate. They can live off the yolk for several days. Let me know how it goes. Give it 3-4 more hours to absorb and then look for yawning/veins again.
It's got veins. Still moving. I'll have to keep it in my lap wrapped in the heating pad I guess.
How warm it too warm with the pad? As long as it doesn't feel too warm on my hand?

It's got veins. Still moving. I'll have to keep it in my lap wrapped in the heating pad I guess.
How warm it too warm with the pad? As long as it doesn't feel too warm on my hand?
Can you get a thermometer? You can make a sort of incubator if you have a heat lamp or bulb that emits a lot of heat.

Back
Top Bottom