A little help please??

PeepMomma

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Edmonson Co. Kentucky
So here's the deal. I bought my chicks from TSC and they are now 5 weeks old. I've posted pictures of them at various stages of getting their new feathers. They are all now fully feathered and flying around like crazy healthy as can be...........except one. I posted it's picture and at the time thought that it was a late bloomer because it took so long to even start getting feathers. Now today, I have decided that perhaps it wasn't a late bloomer. I believe the others have dubbed it the weakest one and have proceeded to pick at it. It still stands, but seems lethargic and sleepy, it will eat food but not all that interested. I did the unthinkable! I took pity on the poor little guy and brought him in the house, he just seemed so cold, he only has a few feathers and some fuzz and a few bare spots where they have picked at him.

Here is my question, have I done the right thing? Should I put it in a seperate spot from the others so that he can't be picked on? I know I probably should cull him, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Help!
hu.gif

I see no reason to cull the little guy. If he's content being inside with you and that's where you want him... keep him inside, at least for a while. I wouldn't cull a chicken just cause he's sleepy or lethargic. I'd do exactly what you have done.

I'm no expert so can't give you any real advice, but I'd give him a few days alone and see if he doesn't perk up.

Thanks, I just couldn't bring my self to do away with him. He does seem to be perking up some now that I brought him in where it's warmer. Perhaps I will give him some more time with the light keeping him warm.

Ditto what Wanda says!

If the little guy is content to be inside and it works for you.... by all means, go for it!!!!!

Good Luck with him!

Update on Peepers (yes, I named him!) He is doing wonderful. After being warmed up in the house for awhile, he proceeded to run around and peep (thus the name peepers!) I have put him back in the brooder, by himself as the others are old enough and have all their feathers. The rest of the 11 eleven are now in their own personal coop and run. I am going to leave him in the brooder with a heat lamp until he is able to develop all of his feathers. I discovered that they were picking on him and that is why he had lost all of his feathers. If it's possible I think he was actually trying to grow down back.
So far he is eating and drinking with no problems at all! Thanks for the kind thoughts, even if I did post it to the wrong thread!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom