A little layer feed for 6-wk old meaties?

sovia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Black Hills of SD
I have a little less than half a bag of layer feed leftover from my old hens, but my new layers won't be ready to eat it for some time yet. I would really like to get rid of it. Can I feed it to my 6-week old Cornish roasters who have been eating 22% protein feed up until now?
idunno.gif

Definitely. I fed mine laying mash from about 5 weeks on and they did fine with it. Oh and it won't hurt your new layers either. I really don't think there is all that much difference in feed types. My baby chicks with their mothers only got chick starter for the first couple weeks the rest of the time they got laying mash. They are all doing great.
I am sure there will be some opposition to this, mostly people who are repeating what they have heard but have never tried this themselves. If they had tried it they would know that it was true.

I think the main difference are the calcium levels. The reason your not supposed to give it when there young is because it affects there kidneys, and if they are meaties it shouldn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom