A little mystery chick with feathered legs. What could she be?

Quote:
ep.gif
The sound doesn't go with the chicken does it?

Quote:
The first time I heard it I wasn't sure where it was coming from. That's why I recorded it. When she was making her first grown up chicken noises we thought she was a duck!

So far Elkie has given us 24 nice little white eggs since she began laying on Dec. 14. The EE the same age hasn't started laying yet.

Elkie got attacked by a hawk on 2/21/12. We found Louie the rooster crowing like crazy however there were no hens to be found anywhere. After finding one EE and one White Plymouth Rock under the stairs inside our barn we started looking around the paddock. A pile of feathers greeted us with a little white carcass with obvious wounds hunkered down into the briars. I thought I saw motion but nevertheless I wanted to remove her if indeed she was dead. As I parted the briars she surprised me by popping up and racing over to Louie. She had a massive wound at the base of her tail but it didn't seem to stop her. The other hens appeared from various hiding places and all were reunited with Louie once they sensed it was safe to come out. Poor little thing didn't seem too bothered by the gash and missing feathers as she has laid an egg each day since. The wound is rapidly healing and she is on antibiotics as a precaution. They weren't allowed to free range on 2/22 but yesterday they were out and it was evident that they weren't taking any chances roaming around in the open as they stayed under cover all day. Whew....that was too close.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom