a little story of my first broody hen experience (pics)

I just found one of my chickens sitting on a nest in the garage with 2 eggs in it...
Didn't realize she was sitting on eggs til I tried to move her...Sometimes a chicken doesn't make it to the coop when it is time to roost, and I find them downstairs in the garage under the coop...so I was just going to carry her back upstairs like normal...but oh no...eggs. I hope she goes back to the eggs, or should I move her small clutch into the coop? I want her to sit on the eggs, and it seems we are in the beginning stages so what do I do? Or should I just act like I never saw her nest and leave her be if she even goes back to the nest?

Cool! I personally would just see what she does on her own or give her her own little spot. My hen would say her own little spot. She sat, but showed stress in with the others. I put her in her own little cage in the coop tied from the ceiling and that was better, but still stressed. It wasn't until I moved her to her own little quiet low lit place that was away from any distractions and was safe that she really relaxed and sat. Some hens might like to be with the others??...I don't know??.....I suppose all of them are different, but it makes sense to me that they would want a peaceful relaxing time sitting.

Luckily my hen was going to be forgiving as I moved her all around trying to figure things out to make sure she stayed on the nest...lol....I didn't know it at the time though. Once I really got to thinking how neat it would be to have her hatch them out, I really tried to get things right and was really nervous she would give up. I don't like it when animals are doing what you want, but aren't really happy or content.

In my horse training, cattle and in other situations with my animals, I like to have them tell me what they want or are ready for in their own little ways...seems to make things easier, but I am also all about experiments....and seeing what they say....that goes well too for me, because we eventually get somewhere.

Not sure if you wanted me to answer this...lol....but I thought I'd at least say something if nobody else does....
big_smile.png
Hopefully I'll be a lot more experienced in the years to come and will have raised quite a few little fluffy chicks from hens.

Ya might just have to feel some things out also???? I hope it works out for you! ....and am hoping to see some chicks you've hatched out!

Last edited:
I just found one of my chickens sitting on a nest in the garage with 2 eggs in it...
Didn't realize she was sitting on eggs til I tried to move her...Sometimes a chicken doesn't make it to the coop when it is time to roost, and I find them downstairs in the garage under the coop...so I was just going to carry her back upstairs like normal...but oh no...eggs. I hope she goes back to the eggs, or should I move her small clutch into the coop? I want her to sit on the eggs, and it seems we are in the beginning stages so what do I do? Or should I just act like I never saw her nest and leave her be if she even goes back to the nest?
I have no advice but wanted to wish you and your hen good luck!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Thanks! Thanks for coming in here.....and commenting! Welcome to the board....I think I seen where you just signed up and you and your family will have a place to keep chickens soon. I hope all that goes well!

Thanks for helping me out...I didn't realize she was sitting on eggs at first...sometimes when a chicken decides to stay out late they get locked out of the coop and I find them downstairs in the morning...and I thought that is what happened to her, but then when I went to pick her up I saw the eggs, but it was too late..she is super flighty...But these are the first eggs she's laid since hatching her last batch, so she is apparently of a very broody nature. I am going to put her and my silkie roo into a large dog crate together tonight and leave them in there together for 3 days...Then I will let the roo out, and put a fake egg in the crate, and I bet that in a few days I can put a few eggs under her for good...She really seems to want to sit on eggs, as long as nothing bothers her. Here's hoping. I want to have a good story to share...and I feel that in time I will, but I can't wait til I have some chicks that I hatched myself. So cute. The youngest chicken I have ever dealt with so far was 8 weeks old...I want to see some little fluff babies walking around...

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me out...I didn't realize she was sitting on eggs at first...sometimes when a chicken decides to stay out late they get locked out of the coop and I find them downstairs in the morning...and I thought that is what happened to her, but then when I went to pick her up I saw the eggs, but it was too late..she is super flighty...But these are the first eggs she's laid since hatching her last batch, so she is apparently of a very broody nature. I am going to put her and my silkie roo into a large dog crate together tonight and leave them in there together for 3 days...Then I will let the roo out, and put a fake egg in the crate, and I bet that in a few days I can put a few eggs under her for good...She really seems to want to sit on eggs, as long as nothing bothers her. Here's hoping. I want to have a good story to share...and I feel that in time I will, but I can't wait til I have some chicks that I hatched myself. So cute. The youngest chicken I have ever dealt with so far was 8 weeks old...I want to see some little fluff babies walking around...

I moved mine for one because the nest box is in the air and I didn't want the chicks falling when they hatch, for two I moved her hoping to break her from setting but that didn't work and three just so the other chickens would leave her alone and leave the chicks alone once they hatch. I don't let mine free range much because the guineas are in with them and the neighbors dog likes to kill guineas. I let them out when I am home so I can watch them. I di cut the grass and give them the grass and most of our scraps from the house so they get good stuff to. We catch craw dads for them in the summer and spring, and the kids are always giving them worms and bugs so they are still very well cared for. But if she found a place that she can be left alone I would say let her set. I hate letting them set because I only want chicks certain times of the year, but I will try one more time, the last time the hen that was setting ate the eggs.

Thanks to the both of you for sharing more! ....I'm hoping for the best!

I think I'm going to make a couple of nests for broody hens. Maybe 4 or so inches high, with a front that I can drop down....and have up. I fashioned a low cardboard box nest for this hen and cut and dropped the front down to where it layed flat when the first chick hatched. The first two chicks would play with each other out in front of momma while she still sat and would run underneath her and stuff when scared....worked real good and I don't always have cardboard boxes laying around like I used.

I'm going to add this....the BIGGEST mistake I made was not thinking they were going to hatch and I ruined the first batch. My hen passed the 21 day mark and was on her way to 30 days when they hatched. In case that helps anybody.

Back
Top Bottom