A little story of the "Miracle Chick" Buff from incubation.

JerryDwane

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Cute story and very true!

The wife and I have always used what we call the "3 day rule" in which after the 21 day mark we give them an extra 3 days then call it quits with whats left from incubation.

With eggs that have been incubating for 24 days you dont really want to open them up and look inside lol.. We have used the float method, etc and usually 3 days is plenty to not have any live ones left.

Anyway, we cut the incubator off on day 24 and had 6 eggs left over. My wife took them to the "Dumping Place" the next day, 14 hours later (which is a big ditch across the street with woods). We chunk them encase one explodes.....

Well, you are probably guessing where this is going............. The wife came running in the house with a crushed shell and quite a bit of blood. She said when it landed on the ground she hard " peep, peep, peep and she ran down the hill to check and there it was... Barely any shell left but all the white membrane in tact. It was a warm day so it did not get real cold. I put some baby oil on the white area and put it under a light... Low and behold we have one more chick now running around with the rest of its brothers and sisters. This was 6 days ago and its doing GREAT!!!

Just wanted to share this with you all.

I had something similar happen. My broody hen left her eggs two days before hey we’re going to hatch. I didn’t break them open until 4 days later. Thinking they were dead, I cracked open the eggs (not carefully at all). The first three were dead but when I opened the last one a little wriggling chick fell out encased in the membrane. Miraculously it had absorbed all of its yolk and was ready to come out but just didn’t have the energy. I fed and watered her and eventually she grew up to be a healthy, happy hen.

Back
Top Bottom