A lone duck. Introduce him to my flock of 6 chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickieBonBon, Nov 23, 2010.

1. ChickieBonBon

ChickieBonBon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Inver Grove Heights, MN
    So this ad was posted at my work classifieds: "Free Duck. Pet duck needs new home. Does not fly, very friendly, had chicken friends, but they are gone, he needs new friends."

We have 6 chickens that are less than a year old (got them in March). 1 rooster, 1 RIR, 2 Salmon Favs, and 2 silkies. There have not been any problems with pecking/aggression and it seems very peaceful. The chickens typically free range during the day (although not now as I have seen a few hawks "visiting"the area [​IMG]).

Any thoughts about introducing this lone duck into our flock? I don't know much about ducks and the only posts I could find dealt mainly with chicks/ducklings or introducing a pair of ducks. I don't even know what kind of duck it is.

Very excited, but I want to do the right thing for the chickens and this lonely duck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    My ducks and chickens mix in well... 1 Duck actually hangs mostly with the chickens. What harm will come in trying? Good luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he is a drake, he may try to breed your hens with possible physical danger to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by