A loner possibly sick chick. Need HELP!

Chickenuser

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
ep.gif
Okay, here's the scoop. I have had these chicks for about 3-4 weeks old. They all run away from my hand when I put it in the brooder to refill water, food, ect.
Except for one. This one chick just sits there, away from the others and does not even move when I put my hand in. Yes he can still walk and flap his wings if I pick him up, but he is breathing heavy and is letting other chicks peck at him. He even let me touch him without him even moving. He is awake whenever I see him.
My light is about 2.5 feet high, it is on all the time, their food and water is always clean and full.

Can anyone help?
barnie.gif

That doesn't sound right. Is that chick eating and drinking normally? Does it have a clean butt? Have you seen it poo, and if so, does it look normal or weird? Sorry I don't have any real advice, but answering those questions will help other people help you out!

-MTchick

Well, I looked at its butt. It is bald. All the chicks are undergoing feather growth. None on the butt, but there is always a first. anyways, yes, his butt is poopy. But, he could have sat in it. I could not tell.

No I have not actually seen him drink, eat, or poop. I could watch him for a while. But I am pretty busy.
Give me some of your wisdom, oh wise chicken addicts!
old.gif

Well...I would rinse its little bum under warm water, and remove ALL poo, check the vent...to make sure there isnt a "plug" in there. Dry it off .... put it in a box with maybe ONE sibling...heat, water food...and watch it. Make sure it is eating, drinking, and pooing. Sounds to me like a blocked vent. Good luck! Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom