A loner possibly sick chick. Need HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenuser, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Okay, here's the scoop. I have had these chicks for about 3-4 weeks old. They all run away from my hand when I put it in the brooder to refill water, food, ect.
    Except for one. This one chick just sits there, away from the others and does not even move when I put my hand in. Yes he can still walk and flap his wings if I pick him up, but he is breathing heavy and is letting other chicks peck at him. He even let me touch him without him even moving. He is awake whenever I see him.
    My light is about 2.5 feet high, it is on all the time, their food and water is always clean and full.

Can anyone help? [​IMG]

2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    That doesn't sound right. Is that chick eating and drinking normally? Does it have a clean butt? Have you seen it poo, and if so, does it look normal or weird? Sorry I don't have any real advice, but answering those questions will help other people help you out!

-MTchick

3. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Well, I looked at its butt. It is bald. All the chicks are undergoing feather growth. None on the butt, but there is always a first. anyways, yes, his butt is poopy. But, he could have sat in it. I could not tell.

No I have not actually seen him drink, eat, or poop. I could watch him for a while. But I am pretty busy.
    Give me some of your wisdom, oh wise chicken addicts![​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...I would rinse its little bum under warm water, and remove ALL poo, check the vent...to make sure there isnt a "plug" in there. Dry it off .... put it in a box with maybe ONE sibling...heat, water food...and watch it. Make sure it is eating, drinking, and pooing. Sounds to me like a blocked vent. Good luck! Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by